Digital camera warranty issue

thermidorthelobster

Mar 7, 2013
Hi folks,

My OH received a waterproof digital camera as a gift for Christmas 2012. Because it was a gift she does not have a retailer's receipt. She is no longer on good terms with the person who gave her the gift :(

The camera failed due to a water leak, in August 2012, despite being used according to the manufacturer's requirements. Unfortunately she didn't do anything about this until a couple of months ago.

My thoughts are:
- fit for purpose - if it's a waterproof camera which isn't waterproof then it's clearly not fit for purpose. Unfortunately we don't know who the retailer is or have a receipt.

- 2 year EU manufacturer's warranty - we sent it back to the manufacturer, having already discussed it has no receipt. They tested it and confirmed it needs full replacement, not repair. However they won't do either without a receipt (despite knowing all along...) I argued that the camera is clearly still less than 2 years old - it wasn't released until March 2011, after we contacted them - but they say they need the receipt to prove it was bought through an authorised UK retailer.

I feel the manufacturer is being a bit unreasonable here, given the product is under EU warranty, as it has a manufacturing defect and has not been in production for 2 years, hence can't be outside that timescale. Are there other options I've not considered, or do I have to give up?

Thanks, David

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The contract is between the purchaser and the seller so it should be the purchaser who takes the goods back and they should go to the seller not the manufacturer under the Sale of Goods Act.

If the product had a warranty, I'm guessing there was a card in the box for you to complete and send off to validate the warranty and I'm also guessing you didn't do that as if you had, you wouldnt have a problem now.

Not sure what the solution is if you can't contact the person who bought it to find out where and when it was purchased.