E-victims.org: Facebook IQ apps scam

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Facebooks applications are not written by Facebook and they aren't vetted by Facebook. You use these applications at your own risk.

The Facebook IQ application is an example of bad application that can cost you real money It is a scam that can sneak up on you when you think you're safe.

You can find it on Facebook and a ton of other web sites. It's a challenge from your friends to take an IQ test. Barb Miller from Framingham got caught.

WHAT HAPPENED
"It was a very quick, short quiz," says Barb. And since she took it, she has had nothing but aggravation. This might sound familiar.

She was on Facebook one day and a message popped up. "It was a challenge. It said Dave had taken an IQ test, gotten a score, see if you can beat him," she says. And Barb knows a Dave.
"I'm married to a Dave," she says. You guessed it. The challenge wasn't really from her husband.

"THEN THE CALLS STARTED"
But Barb took the IQ test and entered her cell phone number so they could text her the...

Facebook IQ apps scam

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Do what I do. Don't bother with ANY silly applications on facebook.

It was much better in the days where you could switch them off completely. Now I have to ignore them.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
I am one of those awful mums who is a 'friend' on Facebook, to my own kids and some of my friends kids (often way too much information!!) and quite often get requests to do quizzes and sometimes I respond, but usually disallow the application after a cursory look. I NEVER EVER put my phone numbers into any site, or any other contact info - thereby lies blue-pill land! What is most annoying about the apps, is how dull they are. I am all for a bit of idle distraction, in the cyber-patience, 21st century jigsaw, mode, but there has to be genuine ..... I hesitate to use the word 'fun'..... genuine engrossment! Let's not through the baby out with the bathwater, but nor should we be naive.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I am one of those awful mums who is a 'friend' on Facebook, to my own kids and some of my friends kids (often way too much information!!)
That's nothing, I have my mother-in-law as a friend on facebook - the number of times I need to temper what I'm saying is unreal :eek:

:D