Electrician rip off? can anyone help?

treesy

May 28, 2015
Hi there, new to forum..
About a month ago i called a local electrician for a fault that was tripping the electric every time i switched the kitchen lights on (those little halogen spotlights). I was surprised when two of them turned up, father and son. I told them it was the kitchen light switch, they spent 5 hours investigating, pulling up floor boards and pulling down my kitchen ceiling, and eventually said 'its the kitchen light switch' boom boom. They left saying they didnt have time to rewire the switch instead i am left with a wire hanging out of the ceiling to a temporary switch. At the start one kitchen light wasnt working, by the time they left there was a hole in the ceiling, a temp switch and 3 lights not working.. i then received a bill for £218.. i said i was not happy, i didnt ask for 2 electricians, one was mostly watching the other. I have said i think the bill was way over the odds, and got a nasty email back and they have now threatened debt collection if the bill is not paid. i feel stuck as i have an expensive temporary fix, dont want them to complete it with their inflated pricing and so will still need to pay someone else.. any advice on any rights i may have or a strategy to reduce the amount? and would they really get debt collectors if i just paid what i thought was reasonable?? Thanks in advance

rich4rd

Oct 21, 2015
I would have a chat with the Niceic , the registered body of electricians

google niceic and look for their contact number as i cant post it here for some reason

If they arnt competent in the diagnosis or there profession then they will be breaking the law , see what they say regarding this

Hope this helps