Expensive camera: refund/replacement or repair?

Whatshallido

Jul 9, 2012
I bought a digital slr camera worth approx £900 from a well-known highstreet retailer on 25th May 2012. I have treated this item extremely carefully and used it several times for photoshoots in dry weather. On Friday 6th July I started to use a particular facility/dial on it for the first time, and noticed that the dial was not working at all.
I took it to the shop the following day and the manager confirmed that the dial was not working. He said it had to be sent for repair (to an approved camera repairer .. not a canon-specific repairer... in my county). I said that I was not happy about this as i needed it for work all through this summer and beyond. I was told i could not have a replacement. I finally let the shop take it to send it for repair, knowing that I might be without it for a few weeks (which messes up my planned work photoshoots and jobs).
Today I did some research online and read about the Sale Of Goods Act, and in particular about how "if the fault was discovered in first 6 months then it can be assumed that the fault was inherently present at the time of purchase" and that I 6 weeks is a reasonable amount of time within which to discover the fault on a complex piece of equipment like this.

Should I just let them send it off for repair and be patient, or am I entitled to quote the sale of goods act/and how this item of such value was not expected to go wrong within just 6 weeks? I feel that the retail manager has mislead me and deliberately contravened my consumer rights. Thanks all in advance.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
You are quite right on this matter and retailers will always take the cheapest option they can get away with, having said that, a repair also has to be satisfactory and if it isn't your statutory rights remain the same, it really is up to you.

shwigityshwonshwei

Jul 10, 2012
Witch is right. The shop has stayed within the legal boundaries and is not responsible for any potential loss of business due to faulty goods.

Whatshallido

Jul 9, 2012
Thanks for your input. To be honest I was not really focussing on the loss-of-earnings-aspect. I was principally concerned with the way that the retailer is not observing my statutory rights whereby the item must be assumed to have been faulty from the day I purchased it... and hence it was not fit for purpose. I am, however, going to stay with the repair situation and keep in very close contact with their head-office, who have pretty much acknowledged that I have not been treated in accordance with my statutory rights. I guess it will all depend on how long the repair takes to process and whether the camera is fully functional when they get it back to me.