Expensive Mouse out of warranty, retailer refuses to help, advice?

rednova

Feb 11, 2013
Then it's worth sending them a copy of that email with a note saying it's not 6 months old and asking them what their official complaints procedure is
I am actually communicating with them via their complaints form on their website, and they just keep going around in circles saying the same thing.

"out of warranty -> older than 6 months ->" :rolleyes:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Have you written to them requesting their omplaints procedure, you will probably find it on their wesite. You will have to wait 8 weeks for them to resolve your complaint before you can take any other action.

rednova

Feb 11, 2013
Dear [...],

I cannot process the mouse until i receive a independent engineers test report.

Regards,

Luke Pointon
this is from their complaints department contact form, how am I going to complain about their complaints department?

rednova

Feb 11, 2013
Dear [...],

this time period goes from the initial date of purchase.

Regards,

Joseph Bailey
I don't know what else to say they just don't seem to understand the law

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Complaints Department
Overclockers UK
5 Lymedale Cross
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Staffordshire
ST5 9BT

Include a copy of the email proving it wasn't 6 months old when it broke (because it probably will be by the time they sort it).

Make sure you tell them you want it replacing under SOGA, not the warranty.

They have to acknowledge within 7 days and resolve within 8 weeks from the date you complained (although refusing to do anything could be a solution to them, they must tell you that)

If you are still not satisfied, you can consider SCC.

rednova

Feb 11, 2013
they know it's not older than 6 months, they are saying that it "goes by the original purchase date" [and not the RMA one I recieved less than 3 months ago. is there no legal lingo explain this to them in a way that can't be ignored? I told them if I have no satisfactory response until friday I will be doing a small claim online at MCOL and they said "Ok"

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
This is from the Office of Fair Trading website under the section SOGA explained

Where a customer is entitled to*repair*or*replacement*because they have accepted the goods, they can claim*price reduction*or*partial refund*if the repair or replacement is taking an unreasonable time, or*causing an unreasonable inconvenience, or if the repair or replacement is not satisfactory when they receive it.

rednova

Feb 11, 2013
I've drafted a letter but I want to make sure everything is in order or if there's anything to add/remove before I print and mail it out, can I PM someone it?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
You can do, but it's probably better to put it on this thread, myself and Witch can then comment on it publicly, one of us might not notice something.
But of course if you don't want to put it publicly, you could pm it to both of us
:)

rednova

Feb 11, 2013
I recieved a response after sending the letter from somebody else and they are giving me the option to have any mouse in stock up to the original price of the mouse which was £50, I said I would like a different(more expensive) one and would it be possible to pay the difference and they agreed to that. Thanks again for the help.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hurrah!
Brilliant news, thanks for the update,
And I'm glad myself and Witch could help you out.

Any further issues, feel free to come back to us :)