Extended warranties

dizzy45

Oct 16, 2012
I have extended warranties on my washing machine and freezer. I have had trouble with both these appliances for the last year and they keep sending out engineers who "repair" the fault and leave.
The Freezer is a frost free freezer which keeps icing up. When the engineer comes he takes off the back, defrosts it and puts back piece back on. Within a couple of months the ice appears back in the freezer and the same thing happens. They tell me this constitutes a New Repair because of the time lapse even though the engineer himself has said that the minute he leaves the ice starts forming where I cannot see it and takes a couple of months to appear back in the freezer.
The Washing Machine[B The water keeps coming out of the top, it is a top loader, and over the last year I have had a new seal, new module, new soap dispenser but still water keeps coming out. Unfortunately it does not happen on every occasion and when the engineer comes it all seems ok. I have taken a video of the fault and he looked at it today when he came. Again the Insurers are telling me the fault is being "Repaired" even though it is not.
I have paid this extended warranty for 6/7 years and feel I am just being fobbed off. I am a pensioner and the monthly payment is a lot for me to find. I have told them all of the above but dont seem to be getting anywhere.
Please can anyone help and let me know just what my rights are?
I would really appreciate any help. Thank you.
This is my first post as I only joined today so hope I have done everything right?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Firstly I would suggest you check the terms of your warranty because they mostly only cover appliances up to five years old!

These insurance policies are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service so you could go to them with a complaint once you have exhausted the warranty companies complaints procedure.

As you are experiencing a recurring fault, they should be willing to action further, it may be worth having a search on the web to see if you can find other complaints for the same issues/appliances which would suggest a design fault.

Try getting advice from UK Whitegoods • Domestic Appliance Forum which is a forum for problems/repairs for white goods, it is manned by engineers who may be able to advise you on the cause of the faults. I use them and they are usually very helpful.