Faulty Front Door- right to request refund and not exchange

annie2020

Feb 15, 2020
We bought an oak front door that was made bespoke for us from a joiner recommended by our builder costing £3500. Whenever it rains hard the front of the door soaks up water so the joiner returned (begrudgingly) and applied an extra coat of protection and advised I should in a few weeks which I did. It is still soaking up water on the front and is water stained when dry.
Today we noticed the front door is leaking quite heavily on the INSIDE , dripping down the door and making large wet marks on the mat. Applying kitchen roll into the moulding areas shows how bad it is, as the kitchen roll becomes saturated. I would like a refund rather than a repair (it is leaking from 6 areas internally)- do I have a right to insist this?
Thanks

Reactions: Bernard

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi, that's a lovely door I love oak, such a shame it's faulty.
How did you pay him? Did you use your credit card for the deposit?
Yes, you probably need to give him one more chance to fix it before asking for a refund.

annie2020

Feb 15, 2020
Thanks for your reply - the joiner was paid by bank transfer all in one go (annoyed we didn't think to pay via credit card!)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
That’s a shame but you are still protected by the law. Give him one more chance to fix it then you can ask for a refund

jukilas

Feb 14, 2022
You can request a refund within 14 days of the purchase date by law. If that deadline has passed, no one will give you a refund. Most likely, you just chose a bad craftsman who is irresponsible. Generally speaking, buying an oak door that leads to the street was a bad idea. Oak is a very delicate material that requires careful maintenance. If you like this material, it is better to put oak doors between rooms. For example, I have a 1930's style door in my home https://internaldoorsuk.co.uk/internal-doors/1930s-doors. They are made of oak, which is painted with a white primer. It has blended perfectly into my interior.

teador

Mar 30, 2022
The craftsman made a mistake, and for that, he has to give you your money back or fix everything. The door is leaking because he did not apply the protective coat correctly. Most likely, the handyman just saved money on the paint coating. It would help if you stood up for your rights no matter what. As for a company that makes custom doors, I advise you to contact joinerysolutionssw.co.uk. All of my doors and window frames were made thanks to this company. They have great prices, and you can not worry about the quality of the work done.