Home removal Company Caused Considerable Damage

raney

Jan 25, 2018
I recently moved house and the company hired to carry this out - due to negligence and lack of skill and care - damaged, destroyed, lost and withheld a substantial amount of my property.
Due to sending tiny vans they were unable to complete the removal in the planned day (key exchange day) and consequently much of my stuff had to be left overnight in an uninsured home I no longer owned.
The overall agreed fee was £775 and I paid £475 up front, intending to pay the balance of £300 on the day.
Since the day went so badly and took more than two days to complete in the end I withheld the £300 pending negotiations.
Remover refuses to make a claim on the business insurance; refuses to put right the damages; withheld property which was only produced once I involved the police; he has also made some defamatory and libellous allegations about me by email and now and now refuses to communicate with me at all.
To repair the damaged and replace the destroyed and lost items comes to a total of around £3000.
This whole mess has ruined what should have been an exciting new life stage for me.
What should I do? I live in Scotland so am bound by Scots law.