Is tap water safe to drink?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I buy bottled water and I also drink water from the tap, but I do often question whether tap water is safe to drink. Probably not! What do others think?

I don't really want to keep buying bottled water though. I'm thinking maybe a Brita Filter Jug.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I remember reading that most people can't tell the difference between bottled water and tap water, esp if it has been left to stand. In another study I read that it is often better quality than bottled water too - don't waste your money it is the biggest con in the world. I don't even think you need a filter.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I've also read that in a lot of cases tap water is actually better quality than bottled.

I only buy bottled if I'm out and about and really thirsty (or need a new bottle to go to the gym with). Tap water is fine for me, though I have lived in Wiltshire where use of a water jug is advised by me.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Tap water in UK is normally safe to drink; sometimes to the extent that it is of such a quality that many UK people get unused to the normal 'bugs' of life.
UK tourists are often struck down by 'funny tummy' on vacations, when continental tourists are fine with the prevailing conditions.
As salads/fruit etc. is usually prepared/washed with tap water in all locations, drinking bottled water does not eliminate exposure to the effects of local water quality. In all countries plates, cutlery are washed in tap water.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I will now be drinking much more tap water opposed to bottled water, saving money and the enviroment. It is true what Tony says, there is no difference in taste between bottled and tap water (not that I can tell anyway).

frdjns74

Feb 18, 2009
you know it really depends if it is private or not we moved from a town to the country where our water comes straight from the hills into a private water supply, I was ill for 2 weeks till my body got used to it, but now I can't drink anything else (it is the same water supply as the bottled deeside water) and definitely recommended although I have never bought bottled water

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
We have our own spring and have never had ill effects, nor have any visitors and the water is very sweet. I do notice a chlorine taste in tap water elsewhere, but I am sure that the water is safe. If you are happy with the taste of your tap water, it is worth investing in a long lasting water bottle that you can refill ad infinitum, as buying water seems an expensive longterm proposition although I don't see the difference between buying bottled water, or buying a soda, - the former is healthier! Refilling the bottles the water comes in is not recommended as they can supposedly release toxins after a time.

orangesunshine

Jun 9, 2009
I also buy bottled water and we have water purifier at home. It's just a precaution at home. So, I'm not really sure if tap water is safe or what.

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
I think the fact that the whole population of the western world drink tap water and is still going strong hints that it's generally OK.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
In a few years time there may be a promotion of 'mountain air' which can be purchased - which will be the 'natural air from a mountain region'.
It will be as effective as bottled water.
I saw an advert for a can of such an item a long time ago, don't know if it is still being produced.

keriSt09

Jun 18, 2009
I think if tap water is safe or not depends on the region you live in. I think it is not safe drinking tap water in southern countries but I think in most nothern European countries it is actually safe.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
It would be a pretty expensive and impractical decision to not consume any food or drink that had exposed to tap water.
It would mean:
- living on ready supermarket meals outside one's own home,
- never going to a restaurant,
- always drinking directly out of a bottle in all bars,
- washing all dishes at home in boiling or bottled water,
- never using a dishwasher
Even the above assumes that all supermarkets and food packaging companies have employees who always wash their hands in bottled water - unlikely.

After all, there are many people still alive in most of the southern countries!