Laptop broken out of warranty.

Phi11ips

Aug 10, 2012
Hi I have a dell xps L502X laptop of which i have had for just under a year and 4 months and cost around £740. The problem that is occuring with the laptop is during game play while the laptop has the charger connected and is using the nvida graphics card, GT 540 M, the laptop crashes after an unspecific amount of time. This problem has been present while the laptop has been in warranty but then I was unaware that the problem was hardware related. After doing research i discovered that the problem is related to the motherboard and nvida graphics card which is built on to the motherboard. This issue has been present in the specific build of laptop since its launch there a several forum post on this issue on dells own forums with user's experiencing theses issue at different time periods in the laptops life times.

Even though the laptop is out of warranty, can I still claim for a free repair as surely something costing so much should have a much longer life span, as i know cant use my laptop to the performance it was advertised at due to not being able to run games off the NVIDA graphics card and the issue has been known since near the start of the builds releas? Please can some one help as im at uni and cant afford to pay for a new laptop.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
The simple answer is yes, you can request a repair, any warranty offered is in addition to your statutory rights under the sale of goods act.

The fact that you can provide evidence of the same complaint from other customers indicates this is a design or manufacture problem and should strengthen your case.

Phi11ips

Aug 10, 2012
Thank you, for the advice. Im unsure on how to contact dell about this do I just tell the problem and ask them for the repair? what do i do if they refuse and sya its my fault?