Laptop faulty for the 4th time - John Lewis

Rayw

Mar 22, 2015
Hi all, just wondered if I could get some advice regarding my faulty HP Pavilion DM4 3000ea Beats Edition.

I purchased this laptop in September 2012 from John Lewis, since owning this laptop the fan failed within the first 7/8 months of owning the laptop (CPU temp was running at 98degrees). John Lewis took the laptop in for repair and it was returned.

The fan failed again, a few weeks before the 2 year warranty. John Lewis sent my laptop off again for repair. The repair took over 3/4 weeks which took me past the 2 year warranty mark. A week after receiving the laptop I plugged in the charger; the laptop became incredibly hot, to the point I was unable to touch it. A strong burning smell and smoke was coming from the cooling exhaust, and the VGA port was very hot.

I then take the laptop back to John Lewis and they initially tell me that the laptop is out of warranty. After a long discussion with customer service they agree that because it was so close to the end of warranty date they will cover it. I asked if I could have a replacement of equal spec or some money back, to which they said they have to send it in for repair and then its up to the engineer whether it makes more sense to issue a refund. I wasn't happy with this in case it happens again. (They replaced the internal components of the laptop and heat-sink and fan)

Laptop fan has now gone again, Is there anything that I can do? Sales of goods act etc? The laptop was purchased on credit card, I am incredibly unhappy with the quality of repairs.

Thank You.