legal implications on car purchase

carlrob2606

May 2, 2013
I recently purchased another vehicle from a main dealer who took mine as part ex, I took finance but because I had to finance more than I needed they agreed as part of deal to pay difference back as cheque.

He asked for initial deposit of £100.00 which I would get back so I did that.

We went through paperwork on one document the figures are correct and on finance completely different although end balance remains the same.

I was asked to bring proofs both parts of driving licence and utility bill they were sent through to finance company.

We went through remaining paperwork and exchanged ownerships of log books etc. The garage have now been in touch to say the finance company wont accept photo part of driving licence as expired and require an additional proof, until such time they wont pay the dealership

In effect so far I have paid them deposit and taken possession of the car. What rights have they now got.

hypothetically could I legally own that car the finance company not pay out and the car cost me the initial deposit without any legal implications.

If it went to court would the judge side with the garage and request that I pay them as agreed figures or would the judge be on my side as they have not carried out procedures correctly?

Your views would be welcomed and gratefully received.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
You owe them the money for the car although they were a bit stupid to let it go before the finance was in place, if you don't want it towing away in the middle of the night, I suggest you give the finance company your passport.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
This is a D-C-S agreement, you take possession of the vehicle whilst the title to the car is with the dealer. This means that they can take it away whenever they'd like.
No free car for you! Lol

Last edited: