Microsoft Mouse Obsolete, but not sold as such

s4mb4

Sep 18, 2012
Hello there,

I was wondering if people who are better informed than I am might have any advice on where I stand on the following:

I bought a Microsoft mouse in May 2011 via a Amazon UK Marketplace seller. It went boink recently, and on the understanding that Microsoft mice are issued with a three year warranty, I contacted the seller about it, who directed me to contact Microsoft. So I called Microsoft who told me that this particular mouse (Intellimouse Optical) is obsolete and has been since 2004, or some such, and so has zero manufacturer warranty.

I went back to the vendor and explained the situation and was merely directed back to Microsoft. "Not our problem" basically.

Now in my opinion, if a vendor is selling obsolete hardware then it should be advertised as such in order that I can make an informed decision. As it was not displayed anywhere at all I feel a little hard done by. Despite the relative low cost of the item I find this all a bit irritating.

Do I have a leg to stand on here? I mean my statutory rights seem to suggest that the vendor has a responsibility upto six months and afterwards it's down to the manufacturer. But it seems a bit of a cheat to sell something with no manufacturer warranty at all without stating clearly that this is the case. Any opinions?

Cheers,
s4mb4