Need advice or help

Alister1984

Oct 22, 2016
Hello all. I hope someone can help...

I took out a loan with my bank in may 2014 and during the time I was on a lunch break so I didn't have much time to do anything else. All details of the loan was fine and affordable so I went ahead. After agreeing to the loan I had been introduced to a guy who deals with insurance in the bank. After discussing a few things I decided to take out critical illness cover and also essential earnings cover. I told the gentleman all my medical history. I did have a few occasions before of depression and anxiety which I did go to counciling for. I told him all this information, that I smoked, occupation etc. I was in a rush back to work and the gentleman said to leave everything with him. He will print off the paperwork and all I had to do was come in later on my second break to sign the form. When I got in, he was too busy with another customer so he came out of his office and asked me to just sign the document and it will all be sent out to check over in case there were any problems. But he insisted everything was "in good hands". I never got any documents through the post, I don't know whether it was because I was moving to a new address at the time or not..

Fast forward 2 years. Unfortunetly I got let go of my job which i was in for 9years and was out of work. I phoned to make a claim on my essential earnings cover. They took 3 months investigating and got informed that there was an error on my application. The insurance seller at the bank didn't put in that I had previous cases of depression and anxiety, had me down as a smoker but smoke 0 cigarettes a day and that my occupation was incorrect. I then phoned up the insurance company and they advised they couldn't pay out as the details were wrong and the insurance was invalid. I got told to ring my bank to complain, which I did.

The bank then done a further investigation on the gentleman that sold me the insurance and advised me that they looked into policies he had sold before and after dealing with me and report no issues with him so they did not do anything further and advised if I want to take it further to go to the financial ombudsman...

Do I have a case? Or because I signed the document have I not?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is worth taking this to the Financial Ombudsman. There will be many solicitors that will represent you on a no-win no-fee basis for sure.