Painting my house (inside)

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I really have no idea what I should be expected to be charged for this. If I go ahead and rent my house out and move somewhere else then I am going to have to tart the house up. I was wondering if anybody else had paid professional painters before and how much they charged. My house is a 1,800sq foot four bedroomed property. Any ideas anyone? Are we talking hundreds or thousands? Thanks.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Painting is definitely a diy do-able. You would have to do the clearing the room prep for a professional and that’s the hard bit! Once you have everything piled in the centre and covered (plastic dust sheets from any DIY store, or old sheets) then wash the walls down with sugar soap, fill any dents/holes with polyfilla type thing, and paint away - buy good brushes and don't load the brush to the drippy point. I haven't tried a 'paint-runner' type applicator - has anyone here got recommends. I like a paint roller, DH hates them. For the saving you will make DIY, try both!

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
We have just moved in to, and painted throughout, a two bedroom apartment. As others have said, DIY painting is definitely do-able, and well worth the savings.
The big cost is the paint - it adds up fast. Buying the stores own brand can half that cost, it also is more likely to be in stock always.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I would certainly recommend that you consider painting your interior yourself. It would save you a considerable amount of money, and as others are saying, it is a very do-able job, though if you are planning on painting the whole interior of your house, that's a big project to take on, and will take a lot of time and effort.

I wouldn't know how much it would cost to hire a professional, but you're probably looking at least 1-2 days labour per room, plus materials, plus extras. For a whole house this could add up to a huge amount. If you do decide to go down this route, I'd say to get several detailed quotes first. Know as much as you can about what you're getting with regards to preparation, quality of materials, how many coats etc. Ask questions, and ask for references. Any reputable contractor would provide you with a list.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
Aghghghghg! I have just had a quote for this job. The quote was from a friend of mine who I had forgotten paints houses for a living! His quote (and I do trust him) was for £5,000. Gulp! I think it's going to be overalls for me. (And I might get a new career as a painter and decorator!).

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
£5000!!!!!!!!! My BIL is a painter and decorator, and of course we never talk income, but now I understand how he can afford three overseas holidays a year!!!!
Or do you live in/on
a) Buckingham Palace
b) The Forth Bridge
c) The Moon
or has your friend taken a PhD in paint technology which enables him to charge a premium? I am sure that was a silly quote..... wasn't it..... please????
I feel like I could never afford to have someone in to do anything, even though we are a so called 'professional' family. At the moment I am great with paint brushes and spanners, but when I am too old I will be living in a slum!

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
It depends on the size of the house. Just doing the sums, there will usually be two people working as a minimum - for practical, safety and efficiency. They will need a van, plus some equipment. Even if they each agree to work for £10/hr (unlikely), include nat.insurance, taxes, holidays etc they have to be charging £40/hr minimum. Including transport to get to the site = 9 +hrs per day. So the min. labour cost is approx £360 / day, plus van costs, + paint & materials, + scaffolding, + liability insurance, + accident insurance, + office/admin costs, + accountant, + etc.
A professional has to provide a good job & result, otherwise clients complain fast. A DIY person accepts the odd splat of paint on the drive! Also painters have to reckon that they will lose days due to weather, somebody has to pay.
Put like that, your quote of £5000 may not be crazy.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
It seems a lot more people are attempting there own jobs around the house rather than employing professionals these days, in an attempt to save money. DIY stores and DIY help websites are probably thriving at the moment. I have always tried to do what I can around the house myself and over the years it has no doubt saved tens of thousands, though it should not be underestimated the amount of time and effort that is needed for even the smaller projects.