Parking fees

monalisa

Oct 11, 2009
Hi all,
For four weeks running, I paid for parking at a local leisure centre, we have only recently moved to the area and are unfamiliar with their parking restrictions. It turns out that I did not need to pay for parking because the time was well past 3pm. I only found out because someone in the car park told me. It is clearly written on a sign next to the pay meter, but I have never had time to stand there and read it. Parking is a real problem, and I have to get my son into the centre for his trampolining lesson. The way it works before 3pm is that you pay £4.00 and take half of the ticket into reception where they refund you £3.00- so it only costs £1.00 if you are using the leisure facilities. I complained to the manager that his staff had not informed me that I did not need to pay. I showed him my ticket and asked for a full refund for that week and the previous 3 weeks that I had unwittingly paid for. He told me that because it is written on the sign. I should have read it and therefore the centre is entitled to keep it. This can't be right can it? Surely the point is that I have handed over money to them that they are not entitled to, whether it is my own stupid fault or not. Now I have realised my mistake, am I not entitled to expect a refund? I do not intend to let this drop so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

monalisa

Oct 11, 2009
What about people who can't read. Is it their tough luck for not trying harder at school or for being dyslexic?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Where you able to produce the tickets or were you asking for a refund based on your word.

Tony

BTW Welcome to the forum

monalisa

Oct 11, 2009
Thank you Tony,
Yes I was able to produce tickets, but he just wasn't interested. The thing is; we are not talking about some sleazy salesman trying to screw people out of money. This is a leisure centre, run by the local council who should, I think, have more regard for the public that they serve. I feel this is a disgraceful attitude for a centre manager to adopt.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Does the sign mention a time limit for claim the money back? If not, I am not sure why they wouldn't refund you. How did the conversation go? Was it heated?

Tony

monalisa

Oct 11, 2009
I don't recall seeing anything about a time limit. The discussion wasn't heated at all. I stated my case. He said it was my own fault for not reading the sign. I told him that I wasn't willing to accept that and asked who I should speak to next. He then told me he didn't have the authority to give me a refund and would discuss it with the operations manager. He took my name and phone number and left. A week went by and I had heard nothing, so on my next visit to the centre I asked to see him again. This time I spoke to another manager. (They seem to have several who operate on shifts). She was much more amenable and said she would chase things up for me. Another week went by and I had heard nothing, so on this visit I asked the receptionist who I should write to. She gave me the contact details of the facilities manager, which I took home. The next day I received a letter from the operations manager telling me that it was my own fault and they would not be refunding the money. I have not yet written to the facilities manager. I am considering writing to the council directly as I seem to be getting nowhere with the plethora of managers at the leisure centre ;o)

I'm not denying it was my error giving them the money in the first place, but it was an error and I don't see why that means they are entitled to keep it.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
When you write to the council state that time is of the essence and you expect a response within 14 days. It probably isn't worth taking them to court over £9 as the court fees cost £35, although you would get them back if you won, and filling in the paperwork takes a lot of time.

Tony

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
It infuriates me that I have to pay for any parking at all at my gym on top of my expensive monthly charge. Why do the council run what appears to be the gym's car park and not the gym?