PC Worlds' (own) distance selling regs

ST458

Apr 28, 2012
Good morning everyone. I'm new to here and really looking forward to receiving some sound advice :)

I bought a Plasma TV, online, from PC World last week. I set it up, switched it on and within a few hours decided that I was not satisfied with the way it handled sports broadcasts.

I re-packaged it and emailed PC World to let them know I wished to cancel the contract within the 7 day 'cooling off period' (as per DSR).

I was called back and informed that because I had 'switched it on' the TV was now used and they could not accept it back??

I checked the DSR's and confirmed that a product could be switched on and tested to see if it is acceptable? The regulations clearly state that i CAN do this.

Another phone call from PC World confirmed that I had turned the TV on and it therefore cant be returned...

Now I know this is clearly no what the Distance Selling Regulations stipulate but I think they are reliant upon the fact I am small fry compared to their corporate structure. They wont listen to me, who can I turn to now.....?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Trading Standards (consumer direct No at the top of the page), and/or you can make an official complaint to their head office.

They not only have their own DSR but also their own SOGA, funnily enough, neither stand up in court.