Private seller - faulty car!

Unhappy chappy

Nov 11, 2013
I purchased a peugeot 307 last Thursday from a private seller. Had it 3 days and only drove it twice to then see the following error message flash across the dash 'catalytic converter fault'.

Took it to the garage and asked it to be checked over to find it needs new brake pads and discs and also one of the tyres is not legal.

I went straight to the person who I bought it off, he won't answer my calls and after several texts to him, he finally responded saying the following 'I have already said the car was sold as seen, tried and tested by yourself. I wasn't aware of the fault you are describing, the car was mechanically fine in my ownership. I am very sorry but I don't feel obliged to pay for any repairs or issue you a refund'.

Does anyone know what are my rights - if I have any? Obviously I don't feel like I should foot the bill for the repairs?

Thanks

Loveablelou13

Nov 19, 2013
Hey there, I am also going through the exact same as you, but to only find out the information (service history) is fraud!!...

Although you do have very few rights towards a private seller then to a trade seller but you DO have rights under the sale of goods act 1979.

where did you see the view advertised? and what did the advertisement say in regards to the vehicle?

I have police involved in my case, and although people say you dont have many rights which is true but if you look into things like I have and get yourself a solictor you would be entitled to a full refund.

The seller who I brought my car off also said the same as what your seller did to you "Sold as seen", bla bla bla...after 3 days of buying my car the engine fell out! Police have said this is fraud too and are now investigating my case.

Don't panic, you have up to 6 months after sale to get a full refund.