Problem with car write off

panyg1

Nov 5, 2018
I would be grateful for some advice please.

I drive an 18 year old Ford Puma. It is my only car and has a lot of sentimental value to me.

I was involved in a accident last week and the bonnet has been dented, the bumper has a crack and one of the lights has a crack.

I phoned my insurer and as soon as I mentioned the crash, they told me it was a write off (I thought that was strange without looking at the car). They sent me a link to send pictures and then wait for a price.

2 days later, I was offered £520, which I refused straight away. Another 2 days later, I received a call from an agent who offered £760. I still feel that is low for a car in excellent condition and only 100,000 on the clock. I asked about buying back the car and they said I could buy it for 10% but then said no, it's a Cat B. I told them there is no way the car is a Cat B and asked for someone to at least look at the car.

They phoned back the next day and said they refused to send someone to look at the car but will pay for the repair it it's under the car value. But they also told me I can't drive the car so how do I get quotes?

When I asked what happens if the repair cost is higher than £740, they said it will be written off as a CAT B. Surely if the car costs more to fix, that's a CAT C! They have also given me the option of cancelling the claim.

Am I right that the car is CAT C?

According to https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles/insurance-writeoffs

CAT C
"Can be repaired, but it would cost more than the vehicle’s worth
You can use the vehicle again if it’s repaired to a roadworthy condition"

Is it worth complaining or am I wasting my time?

Thanks for any advice!

RudolfMelton

Aug 2, 2021
I have a similar reading. I smashed the bumper on my SUV. Now I am looking for where to repair it. Do you know by any chance?

JosephMontgomery

Aug 1, 2021
When I had an accident, they crashed into my forehead, crashed the mail and everything in front of the car. I remained intact, but the car hit hard. But that's what machines are for, to protect us from danger. After the accident, I decided to buy myself a dodge ram rear bumpers, They are more massive and durable, I think this time I will not be in danger. The price of this bumper is low on their website.