Problems with used car - advice.

Chameleon86

Nov 2, 2013
Hi guys,

I’m looking for some help as I have been experiencing some costly problems with a used car I purchased in July of this year.

I recently purchased a car from a smallish trader. When I originally purchased the vehicle the company was called ******** ******. Within the first weeks of use I started to notice a few problems and made contact with the trader via letter as I like to keep a trail of my efforts. However, I received no response to this and therefore made a further attempts via letter, phone and email. When phoning the trader the line would immediately go dead. However, I did receive a very brief email and this is what it said.

‘To whom it may concern,

We are NOT [Traders Name].

Thank you.’

However they are the same business operating under a new name and rather than correct or inform me, I feel as if there aim was to purposely deceive me by making out they are in no way related.

I brought the vehicle for £1200.00, however, after calculating what I have already paid out and what I have been quoted the total comes to £919.00, almost 75% of what I origionally paid.

I also have concerns about the MOT as there were some things which would justify a failure (head lights, registration plate illumination), however, understanding that garages have a certain amount of discretion when issuing MOT certificates, I cannot help but wonder if this car merely passed its MOT in order to complete the sale.

I have kept a copy of my previous communication attempts with the trader including the e-mail. I have also sought some legal advice and I am now sending another letter via a recorded method.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what the outcome was.

Thanks