Proof Of Purchase

kieron86

Apr 7, 2014
Having looked at several websites I am still unclear on this area, as it's a little bit sketchy.

Proof of purchase?
"Shops will often tell you they will only give a refund on production of proof of purchase. Don’t be mislead into thinking this must be a till receipt. It can be a bank or credit card statement, although you may run into difficulties if it is for a different amount than that of the item you are trying to return.
If the item is damaged, then strictly speaking you don’t need your till receipt. However, it is always recommended you have it, to show that it was bought relatively recently and the damage wasn’t caused by continued use or wear and tear over time."

Ok, so I have a bank statement, but I've bought multiple items in the store. All that proves is I've shopped there on a certain date. It doesn't actually show a break down of the items.

Another scenario - Having only purchased one item, which shows it cost £60 in store, but its now prices at £55 in store. How can I prove that is was that item was originally £60??

Basically my question is what is the law. Am I only entitled to an exchange with a bank/credit card statement?? As it only proves I've shopped there??

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Proof of purchase willl entitle you to all the remedies available should you have a store receipt.
Regardless of whether or not your bank statement shows a larger sum of money due to multiple items, or even a lower value than the current price, some basic common sense from the store would be helpful - tracing transactions, if you can remember the date of purchase, rough time, or if its a small shop - you may recognise the salesperson which may give the store the impression that you are a genuine customer.

for electrical items, generally there may be a serial number, or an identification code that the store can check their records for.