Provider changed bundle - we received no notification

skyhawker

Sep 29, 2014
We are with a home phone call provider. We were on a plan for many years where we received 1500 minutes to international destinations. This past month we received an exorbitant bill for over £500. When we called the company they said that they had sent a letter to all suscribers that the plan was being cut to 1000 minutes.

I told them that we hadn't received the notification, so they offered to halve the bill. Obviously we aren't happy at all as we had no notification and this is very unfair.

I called consumer advice and they advised to follow the internal complaints procedure and ask for proof of postage. I did this but they just responded that they are not obliged to send post recorded delivery (they obviously misunderstood the term proof of postage). I am planning to escalate this to their 'final destination' for a deadlock letter and then take this to the ombudsman. I am afraid that they may retract their offer and we really cannot afford this.

My questions are:
1. Can they withdraw their offer to discount the charge by half if I go ahead with the complaint and take this to the ombudsman?
2. Am I following the correct course of action?

Many thanks.