Received a Faulty monitor and seller won't pay return postage.

matematika

May 16, 2015
So I have bought a refurbished monitor (from a reputable and dell licensed outlet which stands for great customer service).

Now they offer 12 months RTB warranty and the rules were clear that buyer pays postage to them and they pay for the return to the buyer.

My problem is that I received a monitor that is faulty (and in my opinion dangerous) out of the box. Namely when running from inside the monitor there is a burning plastic smell which is most likely to dust but might be something more serious. Anyhows I don't feel happy with fixing this and I am not confident enough it is safe to leave it plugged in.

I have contacted their support which asks for me to pay the return postage. Which is more than 10£ considering it is a rather heavy item. The monitor only cost 70£ so this seems a lot to me.

Now considering they sent an item faulty out of the box I somehow don't feel responsible to pay that postage. I might be wrong though so I am asking for your advice.

Also I am within a week from receiving it so I suppose I am entitled to a refund rather than a repair considering that I don't trust them after sending me such a unit.

I really appreciate any advice or guidance you can offer and anyone helping me would have my gratitude.

I understand some people don't find 10£ worth the hassle but for me that is a decent sum of money and I am interested for the future what can I do if I receive a faulty product.