Reciepts - how long should you keep them?

GiraffesRule

Sep 21, 2013
How long can you use receipts to get a refund? I have discovered a pile of reciepts in my bedroom. Unless there is a specific written guarantee, how long can you use them to get a refund?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
You have up to 6 years to make a claim under the Sale of Goods Act, however do note that you don't need a receipt to exercise your rights - any proof of purchase will do.
Adam

GiraffesRule

Sep 21, 2013
Thanks Adam, I did d/l the sale of goods act - I should probably go through it, see if I can find the relevant section (and put it on here).

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
There are no relevant 'sections' so to speak, however you'll find that proof of purchase is the only requirement to make a claim. This covers receipts, bank statements, CCTV recordings, transaction details and anything else that proves that the purchase was made.

sian123

Sep 17, 2013
I'm not a fan of receipts. I think it's a waste of paper. If people want receipts they can specifically ask for them. Think how many people throw away receipts!

Sep 22, 2014
Such a waste of paper, the amount of times I see people walk out the shop and put it straight in the bin...I say no receipt thanks at the checkout unless buying something expensive.

BobbyNash

Dec 14, 2014
Honestly, I keep them around until it’s time to clear them out for the year. You would not believe the number of times that people have demanded receipts, even if I could show that the charge was made to my credit card. Even though they might feel useless, I still would rather keep them.