Ripped off by salvage yard

Tiggy

Jun 22, 2012
First time poster so hope I'm in right place for advice.

I needed a gear box for a Micra and after searching for months I finally rang a local salvage yard and they said they had one I shot down there and paid £170. The man said I could have a refund if it wasn't suitable and I went off very happily.

Mechanic fitted it and said that it was worse than the original one (which had cracked) so I went back to the salvage yard.

Man who sold me the part said it came off a car that was "running lovely" then said that only the boss can give refunds. He took my number and said he'd ring this afternoon before 3pm. At 4.30pm I rang and he said boss held up but would ring soon. Needless to say he didn't.

Is there anything I can do?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If you buy something from a company, even second hand, it should still be fit for purpose, you must give them a fair chance to solve the problem though. If the owner of the company doesn't get in touch, put it in writing that you intend to take them to the small claims court for return of your money.

nosmoking

Nov 23, 2012
South coast UK
Just read this and I am now having a similar problem. Short story, long........ Purchased a starter motor via online car spares search facility 1st choice (no problem with them) and Salford Auto Spares of Manchester duly supplied the part, delivered to my home. Part was fitted at a cost of £45. Garage rang me and said it was worse than the one that was on the car! Obviously I had to pay the garage their fitting cost. (Starter motor still on my car, it does work but is even noisier than the original) Contacted S.A.S. and told them what had happened. 'Return it for a refund' the man said. 'What about the cost of fitting/removal and return delivery cost' says I. 'We will only refund the cost of part not, carriage or labour costs' says he. How do I stand legally? Just had a reply from my complaint to 1stchoice: SAS will now cover return carriage but as yet not labour costs.

stewhammond

Oct 10, 2014
looking for advice and a bit of help I live in Dundee, Scotland and put an ad on the internet that I needed a offside rear trailing arm for my car a company called a and c auto salvage in bolton contacted me and told me they had one off a car that was getting scrapped so I paid for it there and then ( stupid me ) They told me it would be delivred to my door either the next day or Friday at the latest ( today ) still not received the part they have taken payment of £58 from my account not only did they take the payment once they took it twice eventually after spending all day on the phone to them and my bank I got refunded £58 pounds I also asked them for a tracking number from the couriur they would be using which was yodel and all I get is "we are trying to contact them" if I dont receive the part which is already paid for and need as my 3 year old son has cancer who requires hospital treatment where do I stand and what can be done about this as they keep fobbing me off