SCS Sofa Help please

kirsty_baird_26

Dec 1, 2016
Hi,

Needing some advice please.

I purchased a sofa a few years ago from SCS for my parents who had numerous problems, it broke almost weekly, we had to fight constantly to get them out to fix it. In the end they ended up changing our sofa to another one, which surprise surprise there has been a number of faults and we have an engineer out to check it constantly. It all began with electric recliner chair’s in which everytime you reclined it would cut off, turns out the wire was being cut and ended up snapping, we then changed to normal recliners which everytime you put them out something from the back snapped off and fell on the floor, the quality of the leather was awful and was covered in marks also. We then got another sofa and poofy and the poofy had been repaired constantly so much so they have told us they can’t repair it anymore as it just keeps breaking. I think my mum got some sort of money back for this breaking.

Stupidly I also bought myself a sofa just over a year ago now from them due to the amount of credit my parents having as the sofa they got that had been changed was less and it gave us a few hundred pounds off. We choose a fabric sofa which didn’t recline so thought it would be fine to get that. We paid almost £1500 and when it arrived the cushions were covered in glue, which I managed to get replaced eventually. Roll on a year down the line and I was sitting on it the other day when we heard a loud bang and it seems as if something has snapped off inside the bottom like a spring, I phoned them up and was advised the aftersales is closed but I get a 2 year manufacturing deal so they would send someone out free of charge to check it over. I called them up to be told that there is in fact a £75 charge to send someone out now and that the store (Birkenshaw had misinformed me). Due to the number of problems we have had I have argued that the sofa’s are not fit for purpose as they constantly break, we are all adults in the house so no one is jumping around on them or anything and iv also said they are clearly not lasting as they should if this has only lasted a year, is a year long enough for something costing so much? I would expect a sofa to last a few years as I was told when I bought it, we even paid extra for the more expensive cushions as you don’t need to fluff them up and they don’t go into clumps as the man said they usually sell them over 4 years as they last at least that, unfortunately for us we paid if off over 10 months so iv now not a leg to stand on.

I also know two other people with similar issues with their sofa’s so its obviously not just us with issues.

Can anyone advise me where I go from here please? I am at my wits end with them.

I feel as if they are ripping it out of me as I am young and they think they can get away with it but im not letting it slide.

Thanks Kirsty