Second hand car purchase help needed

Bu_Apple

Feb 16, 2015
Hi all- please bear with me, completely new to this forum!
I'm really hoping you can offer me some advice. In November i went to view and subsequently purchased a 2004 car with 81000 miles from a independent dealer from an advert which stated the following:Metallic panther black, An extremely beautiful car, Comfortable and safe , A joy to drive. This will not be around for long so come test drive today., 6 months warranty, Next MOT due 01/11/2015, Last serviced on 04/11/2014 at 81,600 miles, Service history, Excellent bodywork, Interior - Excellent Condition, Tyre condition Excellent.
Despite being told there was service history, this never appeared when the car was delivered and i was advised it would be sent to be at a later date- never arrived as apparently the dealer couldn't gain this from the old owner. We also noticed a few issues with the car; reverse lights flicked on and off, car vibrated alot up hill, didn't always start first time (AA called twice) amongst other things so after getting Christmas and a holiday out the way i contacted the warranty claims dpt and booked the car in for a check with my local garage.

Friday afternoon i get a call to say the bill (if they were to go ahead and carry the work out) is going to come to £3500!! They said it required a full service as well as a gearbox service - they mentioned all the filters and glow plugs needed replacing and there was also a substantial oil leak (sometihng i wouldn't expect from a car serviced in November, as stated in the ad). They also said part of the gearbox (control unit and gearbox selector module) needed replacing as well as all the diesel pumps. Bear in mind the service at this point hadn't been done so goodness knows what else will need doing at that point. The garage then phoned the warranty claim dpt who told them absolutely none of it was going to be covered.
This is a big Mercedes so i appreciate the bill for any work will be high (i also know this garage is very honest and won't rip me off) but how how much of this should have been picked up by the dealer i got it from? surely this car isn't fit for purpose- some mornings it won't even start- hardly suprising now i know its not getting much diesel to the engine and the glow plugs are knackered!
So where do i stand- obvioulsy i'd want him to pay for everything due at this moment in time but this doens't include anything the service may bring up- a service he was meant to have carried out before i bought the car!! Am i likely to get anywhere or is he in a better position that i am?
Sorry for the essay!!!

salfar

Jul 24, 2015
Hi,

I was wondering if were you able to sort out the issues? did you go for a refund or repair?

I am in a similar situation but the car still drives, however, the condition definitely does not match the description the dealer gave.