Severe Pilling on a Carpet 50% Wool / 50% Synthetic

capsule100

Dec 7, 2020
Hello,
I am hopeful somebody could help us... 18 months ago we had new carpets fitted upstairs. The carpet we chose wasn't cheap - a loop pile made up 50% wool and 50% synthetic. A local fitter came with samples and we chose a We were told to expect some pilling but that it would settle down. It hasn't.
The carper looks a mess. It's is pilling in all areas it is walked on. The pilling has formed bobbles - the carpet looks like a knackered old woolly jumper! We don't use a roller brush hoover on it and never have done and we don't have any pets. Just 2 children.

I called the independent fitter who came to have a look and agreed that it looked a mess and so arranged for a carpet inspector to come and have a look. The inspector came and took some samples to be tested.

Today we've heard back and the Inspector confirmed that the carpet is pilling throughout, but the report shows that there is no manufacturing fault with the carpet. They have suggested as a gesture of 'goodwill' to have the inspector come back and 'shear' the pilling off the carpet at their expense. The correspondence also explains that in gerneral, pilling is a result of the following:
- "Using the wrong type of vacuum" (we don't)
- "Movement over the surface from another material: i.e. socks etc." (!!!)
- "Pets" (we don't have any)
- "Yarn faults"
- "Lack of latex or poor application causing poor tuft" (apparently there are no manufacturing faults).

So I'm concerned that if we accept the offer of the 'pilling removal' that it will simply come back. And I've tried de-bobbling myself myself and the results have never been long lasting. Ideally we want a new carpet because we don't believe it's fit for purpose. But how can they insist that the carpet had pilled because of children playing and walking on it in socks? It honestly looks a mess. Picture below...

Attachments