Sky Television Contract

Julie1975

May 7, 2012
I added Sky multi-room to my package on 01 November 2011. Since that time I have had 4 Sky HD boxes that have broken after 6-8 weeks. Each time it breaks (gets locked in standby) I have to take a days unpaid leave for an engineer to attend for him only to say its broken and swap the box to another one. I have had this problem 3 times since Nov and yesterday the fourth box did the same. Sky are unwilling to do anything other than give me another replacement box and refund me for the days it wasn't working (£35.88). They have stated that all they are willing to do is replace the boxes when they break. This means I have to take more days off work to wait for engineers to arrive. I also pay for Sky protect which is £8.16 per month, so I am effectively only getting what I pay for and Sky aren't offering me any alternative solution to the issue. I have been told if I want a different box I have to pay £199. I told them I want to cancel my entire Sky package but was told I can't as I am under contract until Nov 2012. I believe Sky must be in breach of contract and would like to know if anyone can advise me on how to get the matter resolved to my satisfaction or how to cancel my contract and go with another provider. Thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
You have entered into a contract with Sky and unless you can prove a breach of that contract you need to keep to its terms. Seems strange that you have had repeated problems, I have been with Sky for more years than I care to remember and have never had a box fail so 4 in such a short period seems a strange one. I can only assume that if they are all coming from the same place they are a faulty batch or that something in your home is causing it? (power surge perhaps, try a surge protected socket?)

If they continually fail to provide a service then they would be in breach but as they seem to be remedying the problem each time it occurs without argument, I feel they are meeting their terms.

You will struggle to get any compensation for time lost, ask them for a late visit or if you can return the box through the post (they would have to pay the postage if its faulty)

Sorry can't be of more help.

RJvans

Jun 2, 2012
My Sky HD boxes get stuck in standby, I remove the power cable, for about 5 seconds, then plug it back in and it works after 2-3 minutes.

Getting out of a contract with Sky is near on impossible to be honest.

I dont think it is a breech of contract on their part though, as Im pretty certain the small print will state that sky will reinstate you for any loss of service, but will not pa any compensation.