Sony Vaio messed up with Flextronics repair any ideas

Andyggow2010

Mar 19, 2015
Hello sir I have posted this to Facebook as I was totally surprised by the response from Sony based on suspections of Flextronics. Here is a summary

Serial Number: 5463825500 0000744

Thursday, 19 March 2015

Re: Repair Case ID: 10786288

I am writing this complaint on the advice of Trading Standards to advise you are in breach of the terms and conditions of the extended warranty as the damage was not caused by me and is in fact wear and tear.

To start with the black powdery substance, to be fair the back cover is clean (I have pictures to show that), so It wasn’t a foreign substance, it was more dust that with the heat of the laptop then went black, if that then had overheating due to the clogs in the fan, you could also have it burning into the laptop. When asked they couldn't tell me what it was just it was physical damage, but to be honest they need to prove what it is.

In addition, the second alleged fault was “LiquidContaminants found on Battery”. Now to be fair I first never have this laptop near any liquid, it sits on a stand well away from anything. Looking at the pictures ( which I have attached E1,E2,E3,E4,E5)and after taking advice, is rumoured to be the heat in the unit, if it is overheating, and doesn’t match the claims made by Flextronics. The alleged water mark is too regular in shape to be water and looks more like a grease mark (finger print?). If I had damaged it, I wouldn’t have sent it to Flextronics, as there are cheaper places out there to get a repair. Yet again nobody can say what it was just it was my fault

The info I got was:

Mr Stevenson,

The engineers proceeded with the repair earlier this afternoon. However, upon opening your unit they found a contaminant which resembles a black, powdery substance which was blocking the fan assembly and the MB. They also found evidence of a liquid contaminant present on the battery. Please find the pictures attached. Any contaminant (foreign substance or liquid) voids the warranty on the whole machine and therefore, the repair has now been deemed as out of Warranty (OOW) and chargeable and the engineers are required to quote for all parts that are either contaminated or responsible for the reported fault. Please see the quote below:

Quote:

BACKLIGHT KEYBOARD GB BK GM £33.25
FI3MBX(CI7/4500U/EXT2G/NEW)(S) RP=27 £283.43
FI3 THM MDL ASSY 15W DIS (CHM) RP=1 £33.39
LITHIUM ION BATTERY PACK RP=19 £56.93
SCREW M2*8-I(PVD-BP)(NYLOK) RP=33 £18.51
TOTAL PARTS £425.51
FREIGHT & LABOUR £94.79
VAT @ 20%
TOTAL £624.36

Alternatively, should you wish to have your unit back unrepaired, we would require a payment of £63 to cover the Freight and Inspection charges for an OOW repair.

P.s. Just had a thought re the battery issue. Before it left me the battery showed no issues like crashing, reduced times of performance and I was getting around 2 hours 20 mins to 3 hours then 4 days later it needing replaced but just hours ago I was told

"Therefore, they have confirmed that there is a hardware issue. This is most likely an issue with the motherboard (MB), however, it has been known in previous instances of this nature for the Keyboard (KB) to also be the cause. Therefore, both parts have been ordered and are available. The MB will be replaced first and if the issue still isn't resolved then the KB will also need to be replaced."

But they want me to also not just replace the battery that was ok just earlier that day but a keyboard they was not totally sure about

This seems so wrong like I somehow managed to liquid contaminate the two smug lines of a battery but miss the rest, I'm not a magician as I belive the only way.

Any advice