Sony VAIO repair issue

givett

Jul 17, 2012
Hi Everybody,

I have seen that I am not the only one experiencing similar problems with repair services, however I don't seem to find the solution.

I purchased a Sony VAIO PC last summer (July '11). It stopped working in June this year so I took it back to the retailer who I purchased it from. I already went through a two hours headache as they did not want to take care of it and advised me to send it directly to Sony - still under the 12 months sales guarantee. Eventually the staff filled the form making detailed notes about the problem and aesthetic appeal of the PC.

About a week later they called me that the serial number is dummy (??!) and that I have to take the original packaging to the store. After all this was done I received a call about another week later that my PC was repaired and ready for collection.

I opened the box in front of them and I got shocked as the PC was damaged - with deep scratches appearing on the top of the case. It also turned out that the main board and main memory was replaced as it was faulty. As an apology I was sent a screen cleaning cloth (?) and a letter written by the general manager of customer satisfaction Europe.

The retailer confirmed with a note on the work sheet that I received my PC back damaged - with marks that were not on the PC when I left it for repair.
I got in touch with the general manager via email and sent him the photos of the PC. I also asked why nobody informed me that the problem is more serious than an issue with a screen (as I thought) and that I will be losing all the info stored on the PC. Shouldn't they actually give me the chance to store my data before they removed the original memory? (Just a quick note: when the main board had to be replaced on my 9 years old Mac I received a call from the Apple store and they gave me the opportunity to save the data before they removed the hard drive) Despite of the fact that my PC was sent in an impeccable aesthetic condition and received back damaged they say that this is not their fault.

Now we are in the middle of ping-pong emails with the person who is dealing with me on the director's behalf and I am getting nowhere. How can I accept that let alone they release a faulty PC on the market after the repair they damage it? Is there anything that I can do in this case?

Please let me know if you have an answer.

Thank you in advance.

Regards, givett

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Firstly, of course they can't damage your laptop and then do nothing about it, they must make good that damage and restore the laptop to its previous condition.

You will however find written down somewhere, probably on the receipt when they took your laptop in, that they take no responsibility for the data and you should back it up before handing it over, which is a bit useless on a bit of paper after you have given it to them.

They could quite easily back up a hard drive and restore it after repair (assuming the hard drive works) but they don't, often I have heard they quote data protection but not sure if this is a real issue or not, could be as it's concerned with personal data stored on company systems - but I think a bit of a stretch)

Not sure what you can do about your data but certainly your laptop should be retored to its original condition or replaced.