Tag Watch repair

Dave1409

Feb 4, 2014
I sent away my tag chrono caf1010 watch for a new battery fitting in July 2013 through Beverbrooks Jewellers the cost was £83,early in January 2014 the casting around the stop watch on the frame came away causing the hands to jam.I took the watch back the Beverbrooks who sent it back to Tag for it repairing because I feel that the problem has occurred from Tag replacing the Battery.Tag has replied say it not their fault and they can repair it at a cost of £400. Beverbrooks also say it nothing to do with them,Any Idea on the way forward .
Regards

Dave1409

Feb 4, 2014
Hi,Londongirl,
The watch was bought 4 years ago from Beaverbrooks.
Regards

I sent away my tag chrono caf1010 watch for a new battery fitting in July 2013 through Beverbrooks Jewellers the cost was £83,early in January 2014 the casting around the stop watch on the frame came away causing the hands to jam.I took the watch back the Beverbrooks who sent it back to Tag for it repairing because I feel that the problem has occurred from Tag replacing the Battery.Tag has replied say it not their fault and they can repair it at a cost of £400. Beverbrooks also say it nothing to do with them,Any Idea on the way forward .
Regards

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
OK, thanks. I know TAG Heuer watches are very expensive, so I suspect this applies to you, and the law is on your side in the form of The Sales of Goods Act 1972. This is how it works:

For the first four-five weeks you have a "right of rejection" - if the item you've bought breaks down, you can demand a refund.

For the next six months, you are entitled to replacement or repair of the goods. It is up to the retailer to prove there was nothing wrong with it if they wish to get out of having to do the work. And then after six months, there is still a duty to replace or repair faulty goods, but the onus is on you, the consumer, to prove that there was something wrong.

And the key time span is six years. That's how long goods may be covered by the Sale of Goods Act. It all depends on what "sufficiently durable" means. If a light bulb goes after 13 months, the consumer is not going to be overly gutted. If their washing machine goes after the same time span they are going to be livid.

The government's guidelines say: "Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description."

A key fact is that your relationship in the Sale of Goods Act is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

If I were you, I would take the line of it not being sufficiently durable given the price and quality of the item. The retailer will, almost certainly, try to tell you you must go to TAG Heuer themselves, but this is NOT what the law says.

Google 'Sale of Goods Act Hub' or 'SOGA Hub' - this really useful site from Trading Standards explains the responsibilities of the retailer! It is written to help retailers understand their responsibilites, but is VERY handy for us, the consumers to know their responsibilities. Go to 'Explained' and then look at Number 3. (Oh to be able to post links! lol)

Good luck and keep posting to say how you get on.

Dave1409

Feb 4, 2014
Hi Londongirl,reply received, We are confident that the current condition of your watch is not due to any manufacturing fault.We have sent the watch to TAG who confirm that replacement dial would cost £450,taking this to consideration we will not be repairing the watch free of charge or offering a refund.We cannot accept responsibility for items that have been accidentally damaged whilst not in our care,as a goodwill gesture to move forward we would like to offer you a 10% reduction in the repair price.This means £450 -£45 =£405.Your advise would be grateful,Regards
David
OK, thanks. I know TAG Heuer watches are very expensive, so I suspect this applies to you, and the law is on your side in the form of The Sales of Goods Act 1972. This is how it works:

For the first four-five weeks you have a "right of rejection" - if the item you've bought breaks down, you can demand a refund.

For the next six months, you are entitled to replacement or repair of the goods. It is up to the retailer to prove there was nothing wrong with it if they wish to get out of having to do the work. And then after six months, there is still a duty to replace or repair faulty goods, but the onus is on you, the consumer, to prove that there was something wrong.

And the key time span is six years. That's how long goods may be covered by the Sale of Goods Act. It all depends on what "sufficiently durable" means. If a light bulb goes after 13 months, the consumer is not going to be overly gutted. If their washing machine goes after the same time span they are going to be livid.

The government's guidelines say: "Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description."

A key fact is that your relationship in the Sale of Goods Act is with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

If I were you, I would take the line of it not being sufficiently durable given the price and quality of the item. The retailer will, almost certainly, try to tell you you must go to TAG Heuer themselves, but this is NOT what the law says.

Google 'Sale of Goods Act Hub' or 'SOGA Hub' - this really useful site from Trading Standards explains the responsibilities of the retailer! It is written to help retailers understand their responsibilites, but is VERY handy for us, the consumers to know their responsibilities. Go to 'Explained' and then look at Number 3. (Oh to be able to post links! lol)

Good luck and keep posting to say how you get on.

LondonGirl

Mar 21, 2014
London
www.simply-wrong.com
Hi,

You may not like what I'm about to say, but if there is a "small" fault with it after four years and they're prepared to make a contribution, it is worth considering. It may, if you wish, be worth trying to get something out of TAG themselves but your contract is not with them. A 10% gesture after 4 years would be hard to argue with IMO, but at the end of the day it is your choice.

Sorry I can't give you anything more positive.

YAPPI

Sep 2, 2021
Ne vous inquiétez pas si vous êtes Lex, je vous recommanderais simplement d'aller sur le site lien , où vous pouvez trouver la solution à tous les problèmes