Tesco laptop fob off

BambiV

Apr 24, 2012
My stepdaughter bought a Dell Laptop from Tesco 9 months ago, it has gone faulty, and when she took back to store, they told her to contact Dell as it was not their problem. She got Dells number from the store, but Dell asked her to get a screwdriver to carry out some tests, she refused this as did not want to open the laptop incase it cancelled her guarantee.

Dell then advised her to pay £87 to extend the warranty for 12 months and they can send out an engineer to look at the laptop. My stepdaughter not knowing any different paid this money, but took 3 weeks for the engineer to attend the house, he had a look at the laptop and advised that it is the hard drive and possible motherboard but couldnt fix it, so said that someone from Dell will phone her and arrange to collect it, but not sure what they would do with it then, she has been waiting 4 weeks for Dell to call her, but nothing.

I spoke with Tesco store, and they advised that after 10 days or 28 days that you are unhappy with the item they can give you refund I said but it is a faulty goods, and past the 28 days, They advised that after that days, they are not responsible for the laptop, it is the manufacturer. They did however say that she shouldnt have paid for extra warranty as the 1st year one was not up. But again did not want to know, and told me to call the helpline number to talk to Dell and to get a reference number, and see what Dell say....as they are responsiible for a refund... I said but we paid Tesco not Dell. He shrugged his shoulders and said there was nothing they could do.

My stepdaughter has not had use of the laptop for over 4 months and has been fobbed off for the duration of this time, and she is having to borrow her friends computer to do her work on, The guarantee runs out end of May.

What can we do, to get Tesco to replace or refund her, as we have given them time to repair, and they cannot repair it, so who do we direct our complaint to...?

I would appreciate any help for this, and i have tried to contact Tesco head office, and Executive but had no response....!

thanks
x:mad:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It is Tesco's responsibility, obviously the staff in the store have been poorly trained, you need to write a letter to their head office complaints department outlining the problem, they know the law and if they still refuse to act, you need to be taking them to the Small Claims Court and I can assure you they will respond within the law before the case gets to court.

They really are getting as bad as Comet and Dixons/Currys/PC World.

I would also be requesting a refund on the cost of the extended warranty a it was not needed and you should not be out of pocket from the return/repair or replacement of faulty goods.

BambiV

Apr 24, 2012
AAAAhhhh this is getting to be a joke now.

Tesco has said that they pay Dell to take over the contract as they have the expertise on their products, however when you speak to Dell they say that yes they have taken on the warranty but Tesco is the one for refund, then you go back to Tesco and they say it is Dell as they have the contract.. even after quoting Sales of Goods Act and their Policy and procedure from their website, this has not moved them at all.

I contacted Dell and asked why a Extended warranty was sold when the one year guarantee was not due to run out until July.. the Extended warranty states starts 15th May, but when I asked for refund one supervisor said yes someone will call me back within 3 hours that was yesterday lunchtime and no one called. So at 4.30pm today I called them, and got told that I was not getting refund because the extended warranty has been used to get the engineer out to the house to look at the laptop....

I said that the extended warranty does not start until 15th May, but more importantly the 1 year guarantee does not run out until JULY.... still nothing being moved, so they said that a manager will call me back tonight between 6pm and 8pm, but still dont think the refund will happen.

this is getting rediculous now, Tesco complaints department are supposed to be calling me back tomorrow Thursday with an answer, but yesterday and today they kept saying it was Dells problem not theirs... and vice versa for Dell..

How do I get it through to Tesco that their in breach of their policy on returns irrespective that they have paid Dell to take over the warranty, and how do I get Dell to read their policy that states that they will repair or replace within the first year, but nothing there about having to buy an extended warranty first, and you are not entitled to refund as they will use this instead of their one year guarantee from date of purchase...

I am at my wits end, my daughter does not have a laptop to do her studying and work on, and still being fobbed off

xxx

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
This is Tesco's responsibility, it's up to them to deal with Dell regardless of their internal procedures.

Did you follow the advice below to write a letter to their complaints department because to be honest, you are wasting your time if you are talking to a store manager.

BambiV

Apr 24, 2012
Hi
I did write the letter recorded delivery, they have received it but not responded.

The manager I have been dealing with is at the head office and not at the store, I have not spoken to any manager at the store, as went to head office instead hoping that they would help more than store level... but guess I was wrong, but then if you read their terms and conditions, it states that most store managers will want to help get it sorted at store level, but since we didnt get anywhere with the staff at the electrical department, there was no point on talking to their manager as possibly they are saying what the manager is saying.

Tesco manager at head office is calling me back tomorrow with an answer and if I dont get it then I will be submitting a letter that has 'letter before action' on it, but even quoting the SOGA and their Policy and Procedure for faulty goods, they clearly are not budging.

Dell's procedure is only for replacement or repair they said that for a refund you have to go back to the place you bought it - Tesco, but then when you speak with Tesco they said that they paid for warranty and contract to Dell so they have to deal with it.. it is getting beyond joke now..

Perhaps I should camp outside the Tesco store and not move until I get a refund.....but will probably be referred to Dell...to camp on their step..

thanks for your help
x

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Glad you haven't lost your sense of humour.

You should receive a final response to your complaint within 8 weeks of making the complaint but that is a long time to be without a laptop. Tesco will not allow this to go to court, they will settle by the time you get a hearing date.

Refuse to deal with Dell, that's up to Tesco, the responsibility lies with the retailer, regardless of any arrangements the store/company may have.