trading standards

david1471

Jan 3, 2013
i brought a car in late october, i had problems within a hour of buying so contacte the trader who said ring the garage where the warranty is with, but owner said not my problem and now trader was also doing the same. so i got advice got car looked at by garage of my own. A points about car told it was taxed on advert and replacement engine new turbo and six months warranty, ask about replacement engine to be told in email its a full recon brand new turbo and 6 month warranty. he uses ebay to do all is selling and is a car trader not private, my garage found severe damage to engine when fitted by his garage also said it not a new engine as other garage as stamped service book and not a complete recon either that trader stated and car his death trap as well. So i got hold of consumer rights done 14day letter quick response from trader bragging trading standards take years and you aint got a car even though i pointed you sold me a car with scrape engine and original car parts added and no warranty has you stated.Comsumer rights stated pre-court letter 30 days no response at all took some advice from else where now, then rung consumer rights back, i explained if i took him to court yeah i win but never get a penny as he will change name and ownership and carry on trading never paying a penny. The advisor agreed this would be the case and also when stated he as broken the law 3 times selling car by inhancing the price and committed fruad in service book with his garage and trading standards should be sorting this for me. At this point he explained trading standards dont care about small single cases like yours sorry have a good day. I WANT TO NO IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO ABOUT THIS???

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
You can take him to the Small Claims Court, initially the cost will be £25 assuming you paid less than £5000 for the car.

He is right about Trading Standards, they will only act when they have a number of complaints about a business although they will advise you of the law and your rights.

The other path you could go down is with regards to the MOT, did the car have a current MOT? who carried it out? were the items that made the car a death trap covered by the MOT? Although you have a case if the car does not fit the description to gain a refund and may have problems securing this, providing an unroadworthy car with an MOT is illegal, then you have a much stronger case.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
You can still go to court for this, represent yourself, or alternatively the Citizens Advice Bureaux can represent you.
The legal advisor & the trader are both wrong too, Trading Standards will get involved with individual cases as there has been previous with this trader.
Don't get me wrong, the trader could potentially cease trading as one name and re-start as a new company - however you can get a court order for payment, or alternatively have the court bailiffs involved.
If this trader is known for doing this also, trading standards could enforce a 'Stop Now' order, which prevents the trader from operating in this field.
There is also a new enforcement tool (forgotten its name) but basically it's a written statement from the trader saying that he shall not do x,y&z , once this is signed, if he breaks his statement, he is then in contempt of court and a prison sentence is on the cards.
Hope this helps.

david1471

Jan 3, 2013
You can take him to the Small Claims Court, initially the cost will be £25 assuming you paid less than £5000 for the car.

He is right about Trading Standards, they will only act when they have a number of complaints about a business although they will advise you of the law and your rights.

The other path you could go down is with regards to the MOT, did the car have a current MOT? who carried it out? were the items that made the car a death trap covered by the MOT? Although you have a case if the car does not fit the description to gain a refund and may have problems securing this, providing an unroadworthy car with an MOT is illegal, then you have a much stronger case.
car had mot when trader purchased of previous owner he stated engine and turbo had gone so he had his garage fit a recon engine and brand new turbo which he stated in advert. ie why i purchased but to find out its a old block out of old car and didnt get vo5 document updated with new engine number so if i accident caused by the dodgy engine my insurance would not have paid out.

david1471

Jan 3, 2013
You can still go to court for this, represent yourself, or alternatively the Citizens Advice Bureaux can represent you.
The legal advisor & the trader are both wrong too, Trading Standards will get involved with individual cases as there has been previous with this trader.
Don't get me wrong, the trader could potentially cease trading as one name and re-start as a new company - however you can get a court order for payment, or alternatively have the court bailiffs involved.
If this trader is known for doing this also, trading standards could enforce a 'Stop Now' order, which prevents the trader from operating in this field.
There is also a new enforcement tool (forgotten its name) but basically it's a written statement from the trader saying that he shall not do x,y&z , once this is signed, if he breaks his statement, he is then in contempt of court and a prison sentence is on the cards.
Hope this helps.
spoke to a former police man tonight he pointed me to take evidence to police station they might sen you to trading standards as they are given laws to deal with these people but with the trader and garage commiting fraud to up the price of car they might step in but dont walk away from this many people do push it all the way.

RussellTruran

Oct 24, 2014
Hi David, I'm a journalist looking into the effect of cuts on Trading Standards department and was hoping I might be able to speak to you about your experience with them. Thanks, Russell

david1471

Jan 3, 2013
Hi David, I'm a journalist looking into the effect of cuts on Trading Standards department and was hoping I might be able to speak to you about your experience with them. Thanks, Russell
hi Russell don't no if my experience was down to cut backs, I would say it was more they were to let trader rip people of has he was not trading within the area and it wont there problem. They even with held evidence from the trading standards he was located in so they would not have to deal with him. When told by Coventry ts to make formal complaint has this has affected with way they dealt with trader. Hereford ts were more than happy to tell me they hid evidence because they never had any intention of dealing with him has he only ripped a few people of under this company even though I gave evidence of previous car company's he owed doing the same. The car trader even bragged he had mates in trading standards and they wouldn't touch him, true to the word lost a lot of money because of scum trading standards.

RussellTruran

Oct 24, 2014
hi Russell don't no if my experience was down to cut backs, I would say it was more they were to let trader rip people of has he was not trading within the area and it wont there problem. They even with held evidence from the trading standards he was located in so they would not have to deal with him. When told by Coventry ts to make formal complaint has this has affected with way they dealt with trader. Hereford ts were more than happy to tell me they hid evidence because they never had any intention of dealing with him has he only ripped a few people of under this company even though I gave evidence of previous car company's he owed doing the same. The car trader even bragged he had mates in trading standards and they wouldn't touch him, true to the word lost a lot of money because of scum trading standards.
Hi David, thanks for getting back to me. Would be great to speak to you on the phone to find out exactly what happened and whether it could possibly relate to our story. Would you be able to drop me a number I could contact you to therusselltruranshow at hotmail dot com. Cheers

RussellTruran

Oct 24, 2014
Would be great to speak to you David- you could also give me a call on 0161 335 6461. Thanks, Russell

KimE

Nov 4, 2014
Hi

My name is Kim, I work on a daytime show at ITV, ‘Judge Rinder’. I’ve just come across you case on here and thought the programme may be of interest to you.

ITV are looking for people who would like to settle their disputes or claims in the second series of court show Judge Rinder.

If you are interested then send me an e-mail at kimberley.enson@itv.com with a brief description, or you can call me on 0161 952 0961

We look forward to hearing your case!

Many thanks, Kim