Unauthorised repairs

cattlewy

Mar 9, 2016
Hi,
I hope someone can help with some advice.
We recently put our iMac in for a repair to a broken hinge (with iMacs the monitor houses the entire computer so there is no additional tower and it was the hinge between the monitor/computer and the stand which was broken). This should be an external and mechanical issue. The repairs were carried out by an Apple authorised company who collected the machine and then returned it around a week later.
Whilst it was with this repair company, they looked at the hard-drive, decided it needed replacing and with no discussion with ourselves replaced it, destroying the old one in the process. I had been in contact with them via phone throughout and they never once mentioned anything to do with the hard-drive or the work they intended to carry out and the first we realised what they had done was when we received it back. They claimed there was no way of retrieving the old one as it is sent to Apple and completely destroyed.
As we were rushing to send it off the same day we did not have time to completely back up all of our files and have now lots many years worth of work, photographs, music and software, hundreds of thousands of files. We realise we were told to back up but as time was short and we saw no reason for them to do anything with the hard-drive we risked it. However I believe the point is that they carried out unauthorised work and I would like to know where we stand. In the first few weeks Apple seemed to take some interest but I now believe that was just in order to placate us and we have now been dropped like a hot brick. I am still livid and deeply upset by their actions and would like to proceed with some kind of demand for compensation but I don't know where to go from here.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.