Urgent advise required regarding Chargeback on TSB Visa DEBIT card please

Steveyt

Nov 27, 2015
Hello....NOT SURE IF I AM THROUGH TO THE CORRECT LINK BUT CAN YOU PLEASE ADVISE ME IF NOT…..

my friend is in a real pickle and needs advise ASAP or pointing in the right direction if you would be so kind.

Months ago we were recommended (via a very close friend) a local car dealer who could supply a car to my closest friend that would be used eventually as a private Taxi.

This Local Nottingham businessman had been in business since March and had sold in excess of over 100 cars that he accuired by selling them to friends, acquaintances or via a strong following on Facebook, Gumtree or Ebay.

He sourced a car for my friend at the British Car Auctions for £7500 as the taxi had to be new 'ish' but wanted payment up front (being a new business) to which my friend was reluctant to do, but they agreed for both parties to pay £3750 each and then my friend pays the balance on delivery.

Then we hit a problem. ... this dealer said it would take 4 weeks for the car to arrive from British Car Auctions in Scotland but a week before the delivery date he had a meeting with the Bank Manager and due to very heavy debts his company was put into administration (17th of November 2015). He text my mate apologising and said there is no car as it has been returned but there was a letter and a cheque for him at his door.

My mate rushed to the premises to find the note and cheque but the date on the cheque is dated for a month’s time (23rd December 2015). The dealer said in the letter that while he owed 5 people money, he had gave notice on a 30 day savings account to cover my mates deposit and one more person. He said if you go through the administrator you won't get anything as the company has no assets but cash the cheque and the money will be there BUT WE THINK WE HAVE LITTLE CHANCE OF GETTING THIS MONEY.

My friend's problem is this..... as he only had a VISA DEBIT card with TSB, he paid the £3750 with that. Now i told him if he paid by Credit card he would be covered under Section 75 but after extensive research we now think he might be covered via the TSB Visa Debit Chargeback Scheme for 3 reasons.....

1......the company went into administration
2......the goods he paid for did not turn up so he didn't get what he paid for
3......maybe some kind of fraud has taken pace (as after searching for info on this man, we found that he has had 3 business start ups in the last 6 years and everyone that he was a Director of has collapsed.

We now need to know the following if you can help please.. .

1.....Will my friend be eligible to claim under TSB Visa Chargeback Protection Scheme ?
2.....What address does he send his claim and his letter to ?
3..... after looking through the net we cant find any policy documentation as regards TSB Chargeback to clarify that he is eligible and the staff are next to useless (Any links would be of great help!!!)

As the info on the net states regards Chargeback..... we have tried everything he can to get the money back direct with the seller. We have both tried every step possible to liase with this man and get my friends money back but the Premises are locked up, he is off Facebook and Messenger and is not answering emails or calls.

We have 120 days to claim under the scheme but would like to see if the cheque does clear 1st (in the hope it does as why would he do it?) but any advise or people to speak to or info from yourself would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance...

Yours Sincerely

Mr Steven Taberham