Used car warranty

bellarubyroo

Dec 6, 2012
Hi,

I purchased a car that came with a 6 month warranty. Before I even managed to get the car home it had problems. It was returned to the garage that I bought it from 4 times for them to fix various problems, but always including the engine check light being on and power loss. Each time I got it back the error codes had been cleared and I was told it was fixed. The last time was near to the end of the warranty and I was a little worried that they once again would not fix it properly. I was told that their diagnostic computer had read the error codes and shown it was a DPF (diesel particulate filter) problem and they had added a DPF fluid and sat the car at high revs to burn any carbon deposits out. He basically told me that DPF fluid was a consumable and therefore this problem wasnt covered under the warranty, but they had fixed it as a good will gesture. He also told me that he wasnt aware of this issue being reported or dealt with in the previous visits!

Two months later and I have indeed got the same problem, only worse as now the car is losing power to the point where it is difficult to drive, and I'm overusing the clutch... basically I cant really drive it until it is fixed! I have had it diagnosed at a local garage who confusedly asked who it was that had told me it was a DPF problem as my car doesnt have one! Not only that but he said that the error codes clearly diagnosed that it was a EGR fault with both voltage output and working action. (In laymans terms a stuck electronic valve that deals with gas in the emmissions - I think!)

The local mechanic has quoted me £300 to replace the valve, but has very honestly (as he would lose out on the work) told me that as I raised this issue whilst the car was under warranty and they have failed to fix it then legally they should still sort it out. Does anybody know where I stand on this issue? I rang the dealership and asked to speak to the manager but he was in 'meetings' all afternoon and would ring me when he was free.