Used car with untold faults

salfar

Jul 24, 2015
I bought a Nissan Tiida 2009 1.6l (40k mileage) for £3550 from a trader from Bury who advertised the car to be in immaculate condition. I had a look at it and test drove it, it drives okay but i was not very comfortable with the brakes but was told that its just rust and should be fine. the car had 10 months MOT and was serviced @ 35000 miles.

While returning to Barrow from Bury (100+ miles), I noticed some noise from the rear brakes. On Monday I called the dealer (i bought it on Saturday) and mentioned the noise and told them that I will be coming to Manchester on a private visit and will leave the car with them - they were okay with it. Since then I took the car to couple of garages and they found significant issues with the brakes and discs, exhaust system badly corroded, drop link/lower arm needs replacing.

If it was only brakes, I would have no issues and would accept repair. but since more serious faults are present which were not mentioned to me during the sale & the MOT had advisories (suspension, tyres) which i was told there was none, I have decided to reject the car for a full refund.

The dealer wants to carry out MOT and repair the outcome from MOT which I am not happy with, as MOT does not necessarily picks up everything. My point is that I was sold a car in a condition that if I had known earlier, I would not have bought.

Can you please advise me the way forward. The dealer is in Bury, do I have to drive there to deliver the car? the brakes are in such bad shape that I dont want to drive long distance.

Shall i -

1. carry out MOT to check road worthiness
2. carry out AA/Rac check for independent opinion
3. reject the car

in this case, can i ask for full refund and if the car fails MOT, can I put the cost of delivering the car on to the dealer?