Vaillant boiler gas valve packed up in 5 months, installer acting strange

grumpypkj

Oct 10, 2015
All,

in may, 2015 i had a vaillant ecotec plus 615 boiler installed. Few days ago, we noticed water dripping (very slowly) from the boiler. I called the boiler installer who said he will come around in 2 days. he didn't ask me to switch the boiler off. in 2 days boiler shut down on its own with F28 & F54 codes. he came a day later (!) and said that the condensation pipe has blockage for which he will have to charge me extra! he came around today, de-congested the condensation outlet. the boiler still didn't start. he said that gas valve has broken due to condensed water seeping into gas valve and cables being wet! he said gas valve will have to be replaced and cost is 150 pounds.

Now there is 5 year part & labour guarantee and i got this installed 5 months ago. so i asked this chap why he is asking me to pay. he then said "ok, lets negotiate" - he will pay £100 from his pocket but he would like to see me foot 50 as well to cover for his time! he also told me to not tell Vaillant that gas valve packed up due to condensation water making it to gas valve due to congestion.

clearly, he has gotten something wrong during installation and is hiding something. He wants to not invoke the guarantee of the product. when i insisted on warranty being used, he told me that if I speak with Vaillant I should tell them nothing about the condensing outlet blockage. I told him I was not going to lie. He then said, that he will call them on Monday and find out but he wont tell them anything about the condensation leakage issue.

He is going lie to the manufacturer on monday, he is asking me to lie to them and he is asking me to give him 50 for the gas valve and 40 for unblocking condensation pipe.

I am really stressed. I spent so much money on new boiler and this person has messed it up in 5 months. He has the cheek of asking me for money. I have the gas safety registration certificate that he gave me, payment was made via online bank a/c transfer.

1. what are my options guys?
2. why would he be hiding this issue from Vaillant and asking me to lie as well?
3. with 5 year parts & labour guarantee - i dont want to spend a single dime. Am I in wrong in saying this?
4. is he correct in asking me 40 pounds for unblocking drain?
5. whole business of him putting £100 & I doing £50, is ridiculous. But if he has messed up and nullified my product guarantee, then should i still consider it?

what should I do? if he is a fake or doesnt have gas safe registry, then is my guarantee even valid? I live in a purpose built block of flats in London and many others in the building have had their boiler done from same person. so it's not that I got in a stranger. And people have said good things about his work.
Help please!!