Vodafone Nightmare

ricky8r

Jun 18, 2015
Hey Guys

I am writing in absolute disgust at the service provided to me and my mother by Vodafone. I've never really dealt with anything like this before, so was hoping to get some advice from you guys! I am writing with regard to a payment of £263.74 taken twice from my mother's bank account on 22 May 2015 for an outstanding bill of £263.74 on my account. Only the fact I have meticulously checked her bank account have I actually come across this payment.

On noticing this double payment, my initial action was to confirm with the bank payment had actually been taken twice; this has been confirmed by NatWest bank. Following this is where my nightmare with Vodafone begins.

My mother and I have made countless phone calls to Vodafone to try and resolve this issue, to no avail. My most recent phone call to Vodafone was over 1 hour long only to be told "it will be 3-5 working days" before the issue is even looked at. This is 4 weeks after the payment has left my bank, following numerous promises. In the meantime, Vodafone have "turned off" the phones due to an "outstanding bill" - fortunately they are now re-activated (after another 40 minute phone call)

We have also had various "Live chat's" with "representatives", who have made all sorts of promises ranging from "We will call you back within 24-48 hours" to "The money will be back in your account within 48 hours". I have chat transcript's showing all of this information. Not one of these various promises have been made yet!

As a bit of a background, we have 5 contract phone's with Vodafone, including mine and my mother's, my brother's, my father's and my grandad's. We have had these contracts for 5+ years, paying around £150-250 a month to Vodafone. Quick maths, over £10,000 to Vodafone!! My mother does not have a lot of money; she am currently on incapacity benefit for Schizophrenia and this whole incident is really starting to stress us both out an awful lot! This is particularly concerning given my mother's mental health issues! In the meantime, my mother has had no money to live off - I am also currently unemployed, waiting to start my new job in August; we're therefore, let's say, very pushed for cash!

I really feel disgusted by Vodafone's approach here and wonder what the best bet is for us to get the money back! I know if the tables were turned we'd have the bailiff's knocking on our door as we speak!! I also wondered whether we'd be able to cancel our contracts - to be honest, given the recent farce, this is not a company we want to be giving any more money to!

Any advice would be very much appreciated! If you need any more information at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

Chris

PatrickHarperSmith

Dec 31, 2015
I have now been on hold with Vodafone for 2 hours and 23 minutes! In spite of 3 promises to call me back my problem is still unresolved. Basically one of their cowboy sales guys persuaded me to take a tablet and contract. I cancelled this within the statutory 14 days in early December and have been trying to return the tablet. Of course I have been billed for the plan which I am trying to get them to reverse.
What a bunch of amateurs - I will be moving my phone contract when it expires in 2016:mad:

mbkimberley

Dec 21, 2015
Shepshed UK
Did you buy it online or in store? Have you managed to sort it out since you made your first post. (Ex Vodafone employee so may be able to give advice)

PatrickHarperSmith

Dec 31, 2015
Did you buy it online or in store? Have you managed to sort it out since you made your first post. (Ex Vodafone employee so may be able to give advice)
Hi thanks for your offer. In the end I took the tablet back to a retail store and asked them to send it back. It was bought over the phone, by the way. I have just been on the phone to confirm that they have received it (sent on 7/1/16 by the store) and have been told that the warehouse has "not booked it in to the system" and to call back in two days and they might then be able to process the refund on my account! Would you believe it!

Helen Spooner

May 3, 2016
Hi Chris,

I'm a journalist working on a film focusing on an investigation into network providers, specifically Vodafone. It sounds like you've had an awful experience. I wondered if you'd be willing to talk to me some more about it?

Please drop me a reply if so and I'll shoot you my phone number.

Thanks,

Helen