Wickes not accepting cupboard is not fit for purpose

Maggie P

Jul 22, 2020
We bought a kitchen from Wickes in 2013, last weekend one of the large double larder units collapsed. The tab from a leg socket folded causing the cupboard to collapse on that side I believe the cupboard was badly designed. Basically,the metal dowels, camlocks and the 4 socket leg tabs carry the weight of all 4 doors, all the side and back panels and all the shelves apart from the bottom one and that's before you take any contents into consideration. A single larder unit excluding the doors weighs 45kg, I would assume the double one is probably in excess of 100kg including the doors. We did not store anything unreasonably heavy or overload the cupboard and it was installed according to the instructions. It was sold to us as a kitchen cupboard therefore I would assume it should be suitable for storing food and kitchenware. They came back with '' Our kitchen cabinets legs and sockets are tested to a high amount of gradual weight over a period of time. To cause a leg tab to bend of snap would be from sudden impact or excessive force or strain and not manufacturing defect.'' Yet, when I asked what they considered overloading they said they don't have data on this model anymore because they no longer manufacture it, most probably for a good reason. They also changed the design of the legs and the supporting tabs. What's the next step? Small claims court? Thank you in advance for your time & replies

Helly

Feb 10, 2020
Hi Maggie, you need to write to them first before going down the small claims route giving them a chance to put it like. It sounds like it hasn't been installed in a workmanlike manner and/or the product was faulty.