Everest - miss sold etc

cawright1

Dec 22, 2011
Hi all, hope you can help.

I've had some work on my roofline done by Everest and they have left me absolutely fuming with the mess they have left my garden, I have various issues around this that I am now contending, but more importantly I need to know if I have any grounds for goods being miss sold to me.

Basically, the salesman advised that a certain process would be undertook to make the roofline even more secure, and this was one of the main reasons we went with the Everest quote.

On the day, this work was not done. No sign of it. I have tackled Everest and they tell me that I got "what I signed for", meaning that the specific methods of how the work is done, is something that is not revealed, or listed.

In a nutshell, I signed for new barge boards and guttering. That's what I got. The reason I signed for the work was because I was attracted to their methods of applying these goods to my roof. These methods though, are not mentioned in the documents I signed.

Do I have any comeback at all here?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
I'm not one for the 'home' section, however can inform you of the law.
Under the Misrepresentation Act, an action for misrepresentation is the remedy for a party who has entered into a contract in reliance on a false statement (representation) of fact (and not opinion) by the other party (the statement by the salesperson) but the statement has not become incorporated in the contract as a term, i.e. the statement is not part of the bargain that the parties have made (as in your case).

Note: where the person making the statement possesses a superior knowledge in the subject matter, a court can deem that statement to be a term. Whereby there would be breach of contract.

You have rights under the Misrepresentation Act, s.2(1) for negligent misrepresentation. You have to right to:
a) get Everest to sort it out at no expense to yourself
b) get it done yourself (by paying another builder etc) and getting Everest to reimburse you this cost.(bear in mind you can't decide to get the builders which wear gold gloves and charge £5000 an hour).

I hole this helps a little.

cawright1

Dec 22, 2011
What was the process you feel has not been undetaken?
the salesman advised that the installation guys would take the first layer of roof tiles off, and put sheet of felt underneath, before putting the tiles back. This would provide "extra efficiency".

My concern is that Everedst can say this was not written into the pre work agreement, but then, one wouldn't expect all of the actual installation processes to be in there anyway.

Pretty grey area.

evostick

Apr 5, 2012
hi im in the trade and you would not want plastic felt or dpc under your tiles as it would flap and whistle in the wind. what you want is an eaves trim it is rigid and gives longer live to your felt existing roof i think the everest product has bird comb in theirs. you should be able to see your existing felt above your fascia.i would ask them back to install the eaves trim as this is standard practice i am sure they would have written it on your order hope it helps

Chaz

Jan 12, 2014
We have recently had work done by Everest Rooflines and all I can say is very substandard. Extra costs added on above the original quote, the guttering they fitted dosen't fall in the correct direction so the birds have gained a bath, they ripped the roofing felt trying to make the boards fit, now water is ingressing, holes left where the old guttering was removed, cement blocking the drains rubbish left in the garden, and they wont answer my calls or emails to address the situation. all they did was make an appointment then not turn up.
My advice is don't touch this company, Yeeha,yippykyay.