Free Time Holiday Club

Doosan

May 2, 2014
Hi all, this is my first post and I'm looking for some advise. I received a letter yesterday from this company asking me to renew my membership for another year at a cost of £99.99. Well I was totally surprised by this as I didn't know anything about this company. I telephoned them to find out what this was all about and was told that I have been a member for the past year and that they took £99.99 from credit card account last April 2013. Well I asked them how did they get hold of my details and was told that they obtained them from a company called Space Bags which I do know about as I bought their product a few months earlier. Now what they said to me was that they phoned me and agreed to send me a brochure and that if I didn't send their brochure back with in 30 days then they would take the money out of my account. But I told them I didn't receive a phone call and never received a brochure so how could I send it back. They said that there is nothing they can do and got upset when I said this was a scam and I will take it further.

I have cancelled my credit card so as they can't take anymore money from my account.

Has anyone else come across this sort of scam ?

Thanks for listening :)

Doosan

twinkle toes

May 21, 2014
Isle of Sheppey, Kent
Hi there, I have just read about your experience with Free Time Holiday Membership and want you to know you are not alone. I too received a glossy brochure and letter from this company after buying from Space Bags. The letter said the same thing, that I qualified for a free 30 day trial of their services and if I didn't want to become a member I should contact them before the end of the 30 days etc etc. I rang them immediately and said I knew nothing about their company or their free offer, this is when they told me Space Bags had passed my details to them because I was a valued customer (hate to think how they treat the ones they despise). I told them I wasn't interested and that I could not afford holidays at home let alone anywhere else and that I did not want the free trial or membership. I was told my name and details would be deleted from their list and I would not hear from them again. I asked several times for confirmation that no money would be taken from my account (again I hadn't given them my account details - Space Bags had!!) and I was assured again and again that none would be taken. So stupidly I kept the letter for a month and then threw it away - big mistake. Low and behold today I have found out that they are trying to take £99.99p from my account. After spending several hours on the phone to my bank - bless the Halifax they tried every which way to stop this deduction but could not without authorisation from Free Time (what a joke, my money, my bank account, an unauthorised deduction pending and the bank's hands are tied by red tape) and several more hours getting the run around by Space Bags I was getting nowhere. My bank eventually found a number for Free Time and I called it. Again I was back to speaking to Space Bags (ever felt like you are going round in circles) and they were once again denying knowledge of this company called Free Time (they had denied knowing this company when I spoke to them earlier in the day, insisted they did not deal with third parties and could not help me). Unfortunately my patience had been used up and I threatened them with legal action for fraudulent use of my bank details .... oh that had an effect, the girl at Space Bags "Googled" Free Time and came up with a telephone number, amazing I googled Free Time and came up with nothing! Anyhow, I rang the number and surprise, surprise spoke to someone at Free Time. After a quick round up of what I had been through today, explained my intention of calling the fraud squad (ok I know a bit over the top but by now I was thoroughly fed up with the whole thing), the woman I was speaking to suddenly found the power to delete my name and address and bank details from their database, stop the demand for money being made to my bank and grudgingly apologise:rolleyes: for the stress and worry this had caused me. My bank is now monitoring my account to ensure that this company cannot access my account or make any demands on it. And I will never deal with any companies like Space Bag ever again. Lesson Learnt.