LA Fitness (Gym) Membership Cancellation

Amo

Nov 28, 2012
Hi all,

Need some advice!

Signed up for a 12-month £40/month contract with LA Fitness last month.

When speaking to their membership adviser (more like a salesperson..) I made it clear that £40/month for a year was out of my budget.
It got to the stage where I asked if it were possible if I could have sign up for the 12-month membership, then cancel it after 3 months usage (Nov '12 -Jan '13) because i'm going travelling for a month in Feb. She told me this would be fine and all I'd have to do was send the customer services online my flight details with 1 month notice.

After signing up, checked online to read the reviews of the gym - saw lots of reviews from angry ex-customers about how cancellation was very difficult and LA Fitness just want your money basically.

This got me a bit worried, so I emailed their customer services saying:

"I just signed up for a 12 month membership earlier today at LA Fitness Oxford after explaining to a membership adviser there that I only intended to use the membership for 3 months then cancel it because I will be going abroad in February for a month. I was assured by the membership advisor that I would be able to use the membership for 3 months (from November till January) and then cancel the membership before February, provided I give 1 months notice and show proof of my flight details.

I wanted to confirm if this is indeed okay and that I had not misunderstood the membership adviser? And will not be charged for further membership after I cancel it after 3 months?"

He replied:

"This is fine.

Please see below part of our member pledge which cements this.

‘Moving away
If you’re moving away and there is no LA fitness within a reasonable distance from your new home or workplace, we will cancel your membership upon receipt of documentation that demonstrates your relocation. We understand everyone’s circumstances are different, but as a rule of thumb we use 10 miles as a guide for a reasonable distance.’

When you do receive your flight details please forward them to my email address, please leave a calendar months notice in order for the cancellation to take place."

________________________________________________________________________________

I've spoken to the person i signed up with and the manager there - and she's adamant that she didn't tell me I could cancel after 3 months and that she would've said that permanent relocation was how you'd be able cancel, not just travelling.

They're all just being unhelpful really saying I just definitely can't cancel the membership, but surely they've made the mistake here!

1. The sales adviser gave me wrong info - I didn't get this down in writing so now they're telling me I've got no proof to show the verbal agreement at the time.

2. The customer service person told me that my ability to cancel was 'fine' - but is now just repeatedly saying that "We cannot cancel the contract because you are going away for a month." Even when I told him that he himself gave me confirmation that I could cancel, he said "I can only apologies if there has been some confusion down the line but this would have always been the outcome."

Anyone got advice on how I can resolve this issue? I'd be hugely appreciated!

Thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I think the clue is in the fact that you knew you had signed up for a 12 month contract, these cowboys will tell you anything to get there hands on your money, however there isn't one within 10 miles of my house, I'll have your room ready on February 1st.

Connaa

Jul 15, 2014
Hi, After my dad stopped direct debit to la fitness i have had letters saying that they are using their external debt company ARC europe to get the money back, but when i signed up for LA fitness i was 16 and the LA fitness employee put me down as 18 as otherwise he would have to have filled in more paperwork, because of this lack of staff age checking can i tell them to remove the debt because of their inadequate staff age checks, almost like a threat to counter sue them on these grounds, thanks