Refund on undelivered paid item

andrea82

Feb 21, 2013
Hello...
wonder if anyone can provide some advice.
We purchased a bed frame from a furniture outlet called Uppal Interiors, Stoke on Trent for £400 in May 2012 whilst we were in the area as it was the perfect bed for our new home. We paid in cash and obtained the receipt. We arranged for delivery in September 2012 as we were moving house. They were happy to oblige. We had correspondence from them to arrange delivery in between time and then confirmed a delivery date for 15th September 2012. The frame did not arrive; we tried to contact both Uppal Interiors and the delivery firm (on the details provided through correspondence) but no one answered and there were no message facilities.
We managed to speak to someone the following day, both companies blamed each other for the bed frame not being delivered (Uppal Interiors claimed that the delivery company delivered the bed frame to the wrong address & the delivery company stated that the bed frame was never on their truck). After many phone calls, over a period of two weeks, we were then told that the bed frame was in there warehouse and the finally they told us that the bed frame had been "lost".

It took two weeks of us continually calling them (no one on any occasion called us from the company) we explained that we had moved into a new property and had no bed, so were consequently sleeping on the mattress on the floor. They advised that they would source us our bed frame and in between time would send us an "interim" frame until our one came into stock.

This interim frame arrived another 2 week later!
We have made continual contact with them since and they are impossible to get hold of. On the few occasions we did speak to someone they stated that they will let us know as soon as the frame is available. However, for the last 3 months we have not been able to get hold of them at all at any of the correspondence telephone numbers or email addresses we had.

We sent them an email last month requesting a refund as we had not received the bed frame that we ordered/paid for and the interim frame is in no way comparable both in value and condition. They did on one occasion email back asking to see the receipt (this being the first and only time they had responded to any of our messages/calls/emails). We emailed them a copy of the receipt and have had no response again.

We drove the 230 mile round trip back to the furniture outlet as we were so fed up to find it was closed. We spoke to near by businesses who informed us that the proprietor seems now to only come to the outlet at random and infrequently. In the window of the store there was a different named company; furniturebuyer.co.uk, so we contacted them and were told that Uppal Interiors are affiliated with them but they could only pass on a message. We decided to go to that companies registered address which turned out to be alike a PO Box and only where they pick up their post. We left a letter once again requesting a refund accompanied with a copy of the receipt.
We don't know what other options available to us; can anyone help?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Bit of atough one because you paid cash, if you had paid by either debit or credit card, the bank may have been able to assist you.

I think your onlly course of action is the Small Claims Court but you would need an actual address on which to serve the paperwork

DaveP155

Apr 30, 2013
Unfortunately we have had a depressingly similar experience with Uppal Interiors who despite a number of promises to return our money for non-delivered tables still have not done so. We were promised delivery dates that never materialised; I too have visited the offices in Cannock and the shop in Stoke without success and cannot contact the 'boss'. He will not answer the phone, meet or respond to email.
Has anyone had success with their attempts to deal with this company or their alter egos, Furniture Buyer, Home Improvement Company etc. Or any suggestions to get cash returned from them.

andrea82

Feb 21, 2013
Just to give you all an update. I've been told by a local store owner that the showroom at 2 Providence Square is now a MMA venue.

I think i saw somewhere online that "Uppal Interiors" were hoping to open up a new showroom in Birmingham......

DaveP155

Apr 30, 2013
We had a problem with Uppal Interiors in late 2012/early 2013 when they failed to deliver an order or refund payment of £396.00. This has continued to irritate and out of interest phoned them again today to find that they are still trading.
Phone number is 0845 0942113 and the same people are still involved.
I intend to take further action to see if we can at least have some satisfaction.
For info I was told that Furniture Buyer-a linked Company went into administration. Not sure if this is true.

andrea82

Feb 21, 2013
Please keep us updated on any further developments.

If you managed find out an address for their new store/warehouse, maybe it should be passed onto "watchdog" / "Don't Get Mad Get Dom"

:)