Stonewrite Memorials

BrianB

Jan 10, 2011
Dear sirs,
I wonder if there is any way you could help me please. My family and I are desperate, as you could imagine, and at out whits-end as what to next.
I refer to the artical below published in 2009 and I regret to say that this company is still trading and its owner Colin Pitt is still up to his old tricks.
My family and I found it very difficult to gather our resources saving for a while to purchase a headstone for my mothers grave, which is in East Kilbride Cemetary, Scotland. In June of last year we finaly placed an order with Stonewrite Memorials and paid in full, we got the paperwork and the layout was agreed. We area a small family from Glasgow but we are scattered around the country as we live in different places, I am in Blackpool, Lancashire, my sister Irene Catchople (who arranged the whole thing through Mr Pitt) is in Leeds, and other family members in Surrey.
We were promised in September, after a long wait, that the ‘Buchanan Memorial’ would be fitted as it was mums birthday towards the end of the month. After various phone calls and advice from trading standards we sent Mr Pitt registered letters as suggested a full refund a promise that this work would be completed as we were under the impression that the headstone had been ‘written’ and would be of no use to anyone else. After what seemed a lifetime, I personaly managed to get hold of Mr Pitt by telephone and as I expected, he denied all knowledge of the problem and as far as he was concerned the headtone had been fitted by whoever he contracts that job out to in Scotland, I assured him that it had not been done and demanded my money back. At this point he said he would contact his contractors for an explanation and would get back to me.
Thus, that was the last we have heard from him, we last visited mums grave on New Years eve with fingers crossed that he had done the job but were dissapointed again. My family and I are constantly phoning and leaving messages to this day and get nothing in return. I contacted a a funeral directors which he used to be associated with in Wellinborough and was assured that he was still trading and still thriving in his business. All this was passed to trading standars in Northampton and after some time they advised us that we would probably have to persue this matter through the courts.
As you can appreciate we are very traumatised by this and I am now wondering what or where I can go next, Im sure you agree that this is very distasteful and it obviously has happened to other customers of Mr Pitt.
On behalf of my family I would appreciate any help or information you could give us. I am sorry to bother you with this but I just dont know where to turn to next.
Yours in hope

Brian Buchanan

Stonewrite Memorials denied my father a headstone
Almost a year after commissioning a headstone, I'm still waiting

·

Steve Playle
The Guardian, Saturday 19 December 2009
Article history
In January I ordered a headstone for my father's grave from Stonewrite Memorials in Northampton. It is based near the church where my father is buried, offers simple memorials and claimed to be able to deliver in six to 12 weeks. The contract price was £595 and I paid £250 deposit using my debit card. Eleven months later, and after many delays, empty promises and endless chasing, no headstone has been delivered. I am at a loss and hope you can help. RC, London
The paperwork says that once the layout of the memorial is agreed, you should get a photograph of the finished design about three weeks later and, at that stage, the final payment should be made prior to installation. You found some references on the internet suggesting the business may have connections with another memorial mason that had generated complaints. My immediate concern was that you had paid by debit and not credit card – paying more than £100 by credit card gives protection when things go wrong. The owner of Stonewrite Memorials was tracked down to another business in the Midlands and, after telling me the headstone had been installed, the church warden told me otherwise. After further chasing, the installation has now taken place.

Phone: 0121 2882231
Or Write to:
Stonewrite Memorials UK
170 Wellingborough Road
Northampton
NN1 4DU

Steve W

Jan 15, 2011
We are dealing with family bereavements here, so would expect any company involved in this business to show respect for that situation and the people they are dealing with. Not so with this company, whose conduct towards us has been uncaring and totally unacceptable. And we are not the only ones, as is apparent from previous posts. I simply state the facts relating to our transaction.

In early July 2010, my wife ordered a memorial headstone for her parents' grave, from Stonewrite Memorials via their website.

An initial telephone enquiry by her revealed they required a deposit of £200 to be paid before full details of the order could be made to the company via a web form. I would have backed off at this stage, but my wife, in her grief and depression, did not. She paid the £200 deposit over the phone via her Visa debit card. She then completed the web form giving full details of her requirements.

A confirmation of the order, giving the total cost as £670.70 including VAT was subsequently posted to us via Royal Mail on 17th July. This Sales order accounted for the £200 deposit already paid, and stated the balance of £470.70 would be deducted from my wife's Visa Card 7 days after the memorial was shipped to Stonewrite. Delivery time for the memorial was quoted on the website as 6 to 12 weeks. In our case, that would mean by the middle of October 2010 at the latest.

My wife subsequently contacted Colin Pitts, the proprietor, by telephone, and told him the balance would be paid by cheque, by the solicitor dealing with her Parents' estate, and that she did not want it deducted from her Visa card. Pitts seemed surprised at this. I can't imagine this is an uncommon thing, as gravestones are often paid for out of the deceased's estate. My wife contacted her solicitor, and arranged for a cheque in the sum of £470.70 to be sent to Stonewrite Memorials at the address given on their website - 170 Wellingborough Road, Northampton. The solicitor sent the cheque.

During the following weeks, my wife and I tried on many, many occasions to contact Pitts to establish the current state of the order, and the date we could expect the memorial to be erected.

We sent emails and left telephone messages to no avail. We got no response whatsoever for three months, which was very distressing and infuriating for us both.

We took advice from Consumer Direct, the Government consumer advice service, when we had still not been able to make contact by mid October, over three months after the order was placed. They told us we were covered by the Sale of Goods Act, and that we should write a letter to Stonewrite
demanding immediate provision of the goods and services ordered, or a full refund if the goods were not supplied. We did write, giving the company 10 working days to supply and erect the memorial, and stating that failure to do so would be deemed a breach of contract, and that we would require a
full refund, given that the time quoted on the website for delivery had been exceeded, and the company had completely failed to respond to all our emails and phone calls. We received no response whatsoever to the letter.

After the 10 day period had elapsed without any response, I started making some enquiries into the company, and our transaction.

I checked first on Google Street View, to find Stonewrite Memorials apparently occupying the same premises as another company, Abington Funeral Services, at 170 Wellingborough Road, Northampton. Abington Funeral Services had a different telephone number from Stonewrite Memorials (whose number uses an 0121 dialling code rather than a Northampton code). I telephoned Abington Funeral Services (subsequently referred to as AFS) and spoke to the proprietor. He said that Stonewrite memorials had nothing to do with him. He claimed to have bought AFS from Colin Pitts in late 2009. I pointed out that his company address was still being used by Stonewrite on their website in late 2010. He denied any connection, stating that he did know Colin Pitts, but had not seen him for a long time. He agreed to try and contact Pitts, and ask him to contact me concerning my order. Nothing subsequently happened.

I then made some enquiries with our bank regarding the deposit my wife had paid. It transpired the deposit payment had been made to an account called 'AFS 0121 2882232'. I presumed this may be Abington Funeral Services from the initials used, and rang them again. The proprietor absolutely denied having received our deposit and refused to reimburse us. Given that Pitts had sold AFS in late 2009, why would the payment be made into an account called AFS?

I subsequently contacted our bank, who agreed the apparent use of a Visa card machine in such circumstances may be suspicious. They refunded our deposit, saying they would claim it from the account it had been paid into, and make enquiries into the deposit transaction. If the goods were subsequently supplied to us within 45 days, we would have to repay the £200.

My wife then checked with her solicitor regarding the cheque previously sent to cover the £470 balance of the order. To our great relief it had not yet been banked, despite having been posted to Stonewrite in late July. It was duly cancelled. My wife cancelled her debit card to prevent any possible further debits on it.

I then wrote a letter to Colin Pitts on 11th November 2010 explaining our serious concerns over the way in which the transaction had been conducted, and formally cancelling the order on the basis that he had completely failed to supply the goods within the time specified, had failed to respond to all attempts to contact him, and as such he had breached the contract of sale under the terms of the Sale of Goods Act. I voiced my suspicions over his use of a Visa card machine apparently relating to a company other than Stonewrite memorials, his use of 'abingtonfs' as an email address long after he had apparently sold AFS, his use of 170 Wellingborough Road as a company trading address, and my general concerns over the whole transaction. I sent copies of the letter by registered post to all the addresses I could find connected with the company, including Pitts' home address (available at the companies house website), the registered company office, and 170 Wellingborough Rd Northampton. I also sent a copy to the registered company secretary.

We received nothing in return for over a month. No phone call, letters or email.

On 13th December, my wife received an email from Colin Pitts, stating blandly 'We are due to erect the memorial soon but have not yet received the payment from your solicitor.
Can you contact : telephone me on 0121 288 2231'.
He made no reference to the letters or the order cancellation we had sent. We did not respond.

On 15th January 2011 we received a semi literate letter from Colin Pitts, in which he stated:

'The memorial has been in Wales since August 2010. It is your reasonability to unsure we are paid before you ask us to cancel the contract'

Whatever that means. What is clear however is that he refers to cancellation, so must have received our letters and been aware of our feelings. On this letter the company address is given as his home address.

We have no intention of having any further dealings with this company, unless we are forced to enter into legal action to defend our response to this dreadful way of doing business. The complete lack of concern, and his total lack of communication are, to our minds intolerable, given the nature of his business and the sensitive conditions of the people he is dealing with. This is quite apart from other misgivings I have.

I despair of companies who act like this towards people (who are after all in a vulnerable state of grief). Anything which can be done to save someone else the upset my wife and others have suffered would be worthwhile. I feel extremely sorry for those who may find themselves in this position with Stonewrite Memorials, without being as lucky as we were to be able to retrieve our money. If I was now forced to accept a memorial from them, I don't believe I could visit the grave because of the bad memories caused by Stonewrite.

Steve

Spirit_activity

Jan 25, 2011
Hi everyone,

I was about to contact this company to purchase a headstone for my late mother and have tried and tried in vain to get any contact from them whatsoever from Reading the previous posts now seems to be a god send after Reading your horror stories as my father is a pensioner and we have taken a while to get our money together to purchase someting for my mum it's terrible to hear that companies can do this type of thing especially when people are at there most vulnerable it's just disgracefull.
My problem being where do I go now? We live in Hertfordshire and everything here seems to cost s small fortune, we had our sights set on a memorial from stonewrite at a very good price but now after Reading these posts now seem to know the reason why! If anyone could point me in the right direction to any well priced stones that could cover my area I would be very greatfull as we are now dissapointed that we can't get a stone yet for my late mother
thanks everyone and sorry to those families who have gone through this by such a non caring company

Steve h

Steve W

Jan 15, 2011
Steve h,

Thank God you have been steered away. I'm so glad I posted that last message as a warning to potential customers. Better spend your money locally with someone you can meet. It may cost a bit more, but it's worth it.

Steve W

Belinda123

Nov 6, 2011
I ordered a headstone for my late grandmother in May 2011 from Stonewrite Memorial Ltd. Staff on the phone were professional and friendly. Headstone fitted in Aug, which was within their promised time scale. Very good quality memorial, actually looks the best in the cemetery. More importantly, we saved nearlly £400!

stefanjo

Feb 1, 2012
Re: Stonewrite Memorials/Abington funeral services

I wish I had found this site before I paid £100 by credit card, over the phone, to "Colin" who I now presume to be this Colin Pitts. I had a similar experience. I contacted "Stonewrite Memorials" and Colin replied, by phone, telling me a £100 would be required to set the ball rolling, in order to receive a "template" for a headstone for my brother and late parents grave. I must say, he has been extremely prompt in sending so far, a total of three amended (by my request) templates. It puzzled me when I was asked to direct e-mails to the "abington" address rather than Stonewrite Memorials. Which is why I began to snoop around a bit. To my dismay, I then found these horror stories. In light of them, would I be throwing good money after bad by pursuing this further, or should I just wipe my mouth and write off the £100? During a visit to the cemetery, the lady there told me that roughly £400 would be required, normally, to erect, lay a foundation and enscribe more than one name and date on the stone. She gently questioned how the price of £595 could cover this.
Would anybody care to comment on my predicament? I'd be most grateful.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Contact your credit card company, it could be possible to recover the money from them

Doesn't ease the pain over what is a very troubling situation, something really needs to be done about this.

jeannie_matty

Feb 2, 2011
I paid a deposit for a memorial for my Mother in September 2009 and the balance was taken from my account without forwarning in October 2009. To this day I still have nothing to show for my £595.

I have been spoken to Colin Pitt many times with regards to this and have been given many excuses. I resorted to writing to Trading Standards who were no help at all and informed me that others had taken Colin Pitts to court and won the case but received no refund!! I really don't know how or why they are still trading and have almost 'given up' hoping. I don't know where to turn to to be honest. I wrote to Watchdog but had no reply either.

stormydown

Oct 18, 2012
I am experiencing similar problems with this despicable company. Colin Pitts uses low grade quality products from China he has the headstones ordered and made at a much reduced cost enabling him to make an even bigger profit,the quality of the lettering and gilding is very poor I am trying to get my money back it is not going to be easy STEER CLEAR is my advice to anyone else. I have been in contact with by bank and also with the police as there evidently is some fraudelent activity going on with Colin Pitts, he has a website online called Stonewrite Memorials however ALL his e mails come under the name of AFS Abington Funerel Services. he uses their e mails address,their actual address,a phone number with a West Midlands code starting 0121, he has an address which differs from the one given on his website and everything about him is particularly shady to say the least. I am awaiting to hear from the police at this stage and will update as soon as possible . Thank you for any further information.

Last edited:

jeannie_matty

Feb 2, 2011
An update!!!

I took Colin Pitt and Stonewrite Memorials to the small claims court and he paid 'Out of Court'. I named both him personally and the company on the claim form. Once he received it he contacted me immediately saying he hadn't realised the memorial was still outstanding??!!! On top of the cost of the original memorial I received two years interest at 8%.

You can make the claim on-line and it was so easy. Contact Directgov online - it couldn't be easier.

stormydown

Oct 18, 2012
I paid a deposit for a memorial for my Mother in September 2009 and the balance was taken from my account without forwarning in October 2009. To this day I still have nothing to show for my £595.

I have been spoken to Colin Pitt many times with regards to this and have been given many excuses. I resorted to writing to Trading Standards who were no help at all and informed me that others had taken Colin Pitts to court and won the case but received no refund!! I really don't know how or why they are still trading and have almost 'given up' hoping. I don't know where to turn to to be honest. I wrote to Watchdog but had no reply either.
How awful i am going to fight this all the way believe me !!!

stormydown

Oct 18, 2012
To everyone who has experienced problems with Colin Pitts please watch the welsh consumer television programme THE FERRET on ITV IST FEBRUARY at 8PM 2013. my dad passed away exactly a year ago today on the 29th January 2012 ,we experienced a year of hell with Colin Pitts but i am pleased to say it has all come together in the end with a long,hard fight. Anyone looking for a headstone for their nearest and dearest ,my advice is to go to someone local and not Colin Pitts.

stormydown

Oct 18, 2012
Well said Steve please see my posts on this compant too,i have been in a similar situation as yourself with this despicable company............. Never again !!!!!!!

stormydown

Oct 18, 2012
Please note that The Ferret TV Consumer Programme showing the article re Stonewrite Memorials UK was postponed as there
was not enough air time to show the programme as planned on the 1st Feb 2013 so wll now be on air at 8pm ITV next week which is 8th Feb instead.Any changes will be updated.

Distressed

Oct 6, 2013
Good morning

I have just written to Stonewrite Memorials. In November 2006 I ordered a headstone from their website, and visited Abingdon Funeral Services office in Northampton as I live in the Midlands to discuss further, although the headstone was required for N.W.London. I had problems also and had to get my credit card company involved. When I read through my correspondence this week due to a problem arising with the headstone, the website was no longer there however, I came across all these postings. Communication at that time was poor, however, once the credit card company were involved, the headstone was finally delivery and erected with one problem, it was a marble open book, smaller than usual which was my request but the writing was in gold and not black enamel, I was told that gold would last longer and I accepted their knowledge and experience, having never ordered a headstone before.
Over the past few years, the gold lettering has started to flake away, now it just looks a mess. I spoke with a local funeral services who said both marble and gold leaf are porous and not put together for the very reason I am complaining about.
I have now written to Stonewrite Memorials, the Trading Standards and the credit card company involved but I doubt there is anything I can do. The local funeral services advised me to get back in touch with the person responsible.
So I am going down that avenue first. I have been devastated by what I read, I was having problems way back in 2007 but did not envisage all that appears to have followed.
I have also left a message on the number 0121 as well as trying AFS.
My mum suffered neglect in her care and this has taken quite a time to be resolved and now this, how much more does my poor mum have to endure.
All we wanted was a decent headstone, with the words of our choice to be able to remember our Mum, it now looks as we will have to pay out to have this stone resurfaced and the lettering in black enamel as requested. In November 2007 we were told that gold lettering would last longer than black enamel. The local funeral services stated that this will continue to reoccur unless the lettering is changed to black enamel.
To all those bereaved families, I am sorry for you loss and sorry that most of us have experienced these problems at a time when we are grieving and should be supported by those we turn to for help.
I hope to report back as to the outcome.

Distressed

Oct 6, 2013
Incidentally, it will be the seventh anniversary of mum's death on 11th October 2013 and now all this is hanging over us at a very difficult time.

stormydown

Oct 18, 2012
Sorry to hear of yet another bad experience re Stonewrite Memorials UK I got my money back through my bank and I als exposed this despicable company through a TV Consumer programme The Ferret who came down to film with me back last November. Anyone else thinking of using this compant DON'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE BEWARE. THEY ARE ROGUES AND YOU MAY FIND YOU END UP WITH SIMILAR PROBLEMS.

Distressed

Oct 6, 2013
Hi Stormydown

Thank you for your prompt response, I cannot believe what has happened since I placed my order in November 2006 meeting face to face with Colin at AFS.

I will keep the forum posted re the outcome, but I feel that I shall probably
have to replace my mum's headstone unless Stonewrite Memorials show her some respect and correct their mistake in applying gold lettering, I have checked through all my correspondence and I repeatedly discuss black enamel and so does Colin.

If it hadnt been such a distressing time due to mum's poor care I doubt I would have accepted it but when you are told gold will last longer than black by the professional then you accept what you are told.

Take care, will post any outcome!

Distressed

Oct 6, 2013
just found this in my search for a possible new headstone for my poor mum

Lettering:

Some materials will suit certain types of lettering more than others. For example, lead lettering should only be used for marble memorials and gilded lettering looks best on polished granite. Source: Dignity caring funerals

Shame Stonewrite Memorials didnt know this! I wish I had in my grief!

Distressed

Oct 6, 2013
Firm take eight months to fit gravestone for tragic tot, article by Norman Silvester Daily Record

25th October 2009

Another sad story

Please read