Vodafone's Disgraceful Customer Services

MarkThorn

Sep 19, 2012
I have been a Vodafone customer for about 5 years as a contract and now a Pay as you go customer. I recently asked for a Sim Unlock Code to unlock my smartphone for use with another Sim from Giff Gaff as the tariff's on offer are far better than Vodafone's PAYG.
I started by doing a bit of research online about how to go about switching and came up with a plan to call them and ask for the code.
I called Vodafone and after paying 25p for a customer services call, I got to speak with an agent who told me that I would receive my code by email within 48 hours. Great I thought, that was easy......

Three days passed and I had received no email from Vodafone, I had been given a Reference Number (578183) so I called again and was told, "Sorry but that department is closed on weekends".

A little frustrated but still calm enough to be polite, I called again the following Monday. I was then told that the request had been sent for my code and it can take up to three days? But this has taken Five days I replied. The agent then said that she would pass the problem over to the NUC team who would elevate the problem.

Meanwhile I have made numerous posts on the Vodafone Customer Forums to see if I could get some help from the online community and the online Vodafone staff.

The forum staff replied to my issue, asking me to contact them with my details and that they would then call me to resolve the issue. I did as requested and sent all the information required but received no reply, no phone call, nothing.

I had a look at some of the other threads on their forum and came up with the conclusion that they just don't offer any help at all, they simply paste a pre-written answer into any post that requires a reply and lead people around on a merry dance.

I called them again yesterday and rather than waiting the 25 minutes that they said I'd have to wait, I opted for a call back. I placed my phone in front of me and didn't move. It never rang, after 35 minutes it buzzed a missed call notification at me? Vodafone must have called for less than 2 seconds and then hung up so that their agent could record the call as being made.

I made various further posts on their customer forums and have yet to get any response so I will call again this evening and get nowhere, what can I do?

I am now totally frustrated with a communications company that can't communicate with its customers. I want to complain to someone that might be able to help but Vodafone simply don't care. I read that OFCOM don't take individual complaints (Not useful) so that leaves the only option I can think of and that is to go on a personal campaign to slate Vodafone to everyone I know. That still doesn't hep me to get my Sim Unlock Pin Code!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
No, you must have it all wrong because this is what Voafone say abount complaints
We aim to resolve all issues on first contact, but if we cannot we will escalate your call to a team manager. If the team manager cannot resolve the issue we will refer it to our dedicated customer relations team. In any event we will endeavour to resolve any complaint within one week. If we are unable to do so, we will notify you and provide weekly updates on progress.
Must be true.

You can register a further complaint via:

Ombudsman Services Communications
PO Box 730
Warrington WA4 6HL

After VF have failed to deal with your complaint for 8 weeks, not really helpful to you is it?

Take it you have formally complained to:

Customer Relations Manager
Vodafone Limited
The Connection
Newbury
Berkshire RG14 2FN

Coz that will solve everything immediately - right ;)

MarkThorn

Sep 19, 2012
Ok, so here are the latest updates on my plight to get a Sim Unlock Code from Vodafone:

15-09-2012 05:42 PM

Hi MarkThorn,

I'm sorry to hear you've had to chase this.

I'll pop you a PM so we can look to see what is happening for you. Once you follow the directions to get us your details we'll then look to call you, so there won't be a charge for speaking with us.

You can find your PM inbox here. If you can't access this link, please ensure that the box next to "Turn on private messages" is ticked on this page, and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Dave

18-09-2012 08:47 AM

Hi Dave,

See, there we go, to get into these forums to make a post I need to fill in a registration form which gives you all my details and in my post I note the Vodafone reference number that I was given by your agent when I first called.

At this juncture you have a disgruntled customer who is rather annoyed that STILL nothing has been done. Any reasonable person would think "Ok, we have the customers details and we know what the problem is, lets get it sorted so they don't get even more fed up".

But here we are and I'm still being asked to run around wasting time? NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Mark.

19-09-2012 09:03 AM - edited 19-09-2012 09:04 AM

REF: 578183

And so it continues, I followed the instructions I was given above and still nobody contacted me? What is wrong with you lot? Do you try to upset people just for fun?

So, at the cost of another call to Vodafone I am now told that it is in the hands of the manufacturer? It can take up to 7 days? IT HAS BEEN 7 DAYS!

I am told that this issue will be escalated to the MUC Team? It might take another 48 hours?

I get the feeling that i'll be back here in 48 hourshaving yet another dig!

I thought I had experienced poor customer service before but this is an experience that excedes all others, never before have I had the displeasure of dealing with such incompetant people.

If this doesn't get sorted by tonight I'm going to start my own little Anti Vodafone Campaign.

19-09-2012 02:27 PM

Hi MarkThorn,

Thanks for your time on the phone. As discussed, once the investigation timescale has lapsed, I'll be back in touch with an update on your delayed NUC. If you need anything else in the meantime or would like to reschedule our chat to a later time, feel free to post it here and the moderators will alert me. :smileywink:

Cheers, Ben

19-09-2012 03:57 PM

Hello Ben,

Lets just hope that your reminder system actually works this time. In the meantime, while I wait for another day, maybe you would like to make a note of the following sugestions, they might help your Customer Services Team to improve their Customer Services.

Firstly, employ a system that will flag up a reminder when action is due for any particular customers issue. For Example:

1. Customer calls with a problem

2. You assure customer that problem will be solved within 48 hours.

3. 48 Hours later, check your systems to ensure that your promise to resolve the customers issue has been completed.

4. If not chase it up, or complete it.

5. Call or email the customer and explain the delay.

The trick to Customer Services is to make the Customer feel like you care by communicating at all levels.

Next, stop charging your customers to speak to you. It's a disgrace that you charge for your customer to speak to you to get a problem solved that is not their fault. When we spoke on the phone you said "Every company charges for PAYG Customer Services". That doen't make it right. Especially when a customer has to call numerous times for the same thing due to failure on your part. You also told me that you charge because it costs to offer customer services, well maybe Vodafone needs to take some of the 7.5 Billion in profits from 2011 and sprinkle a little on its Customer Services.

Finally, it was good to get a call from you, at least now I know that there is someone out there. However, you tried to reassure me that someone is looking into this problem with my Sim Unlock Code and said that there might have been a delay because the details of the phone were incorrect. The initial call was made a week ago, the details given were correct at that time and these were the details that were given to the team who were to retrieve the code for me, therefore there should have been no problem and no delay. That aside, you have now told me that you will call back once the 48 hour period has expired, that is fine, but what happens if the code is still not available? I am hoping that this time someone might attempt to do something about it before you call me so that I am at least given a glimmer of hope rather than just another 48 hours to stew some more?

Not holding my breath,

Mark Thorn.

elladaisy

Sep 21, 2012
I've heard bad things about the vodaphone. Hope you get it sorted and thanks for warning us

MarkThorn

Sep 19, 2012
Hi Elladaisy,

You are most welcome. I still have not had the problem resolved, no further contact has been made by them and I'm still unable to use my new GiffGaff sim card, it seems hopeless...:mad:

Rosatheatons

Nov 13, 2012
Mine is slightly different but really same old :- I purchased an Experia Play phone from Vodafone on contract ( having had a sim only contract previously ) with an up front cost of approximately £100 and used it for a few months until it broke. I contacted the help line who said they would send a prepaid( by them ) envelope and to return it as per specific instructions. This I did but after a gap due to the critical illness and recovery of my mother (89) and illness and subsequent death of my brother (59) rather sent everything sideways. The phone was sent June and proof of postage kept.
As I had no acknowledgement for the phone I contacted back and was told they could not inform me of the postcode of the depot due to data protection etc. .. . each time needing extensive time on the home phone due to a signal problem for vodafone at home at present. I was then told that Vodafone cancelled the repair but not informed why due to data protection. Eventually I got the postcode but had to go through approx. 1200 postal slips ( work is online) not realising at first that a prepaid only gets the receipt portion . The help line people then refuse to sort things as I had not got a 13 number tracked number when Vodafone had specified to return in a pre paid envelope etc. . . have all proof of postage kept if wanted later. I complies all along with the instructions given
I was then told to instigate a Post Office claim which as the item was in a prepaid envelope by Vodafone is not in the Post Office terms and conditions as not tracked /paid by me etc. .(My business is selling online so I am over familiar with their terms/conditions) . The most I would receive is £46 and the Post Office suggest a legal claim against Vodafone instead as the purchasing contract for post was by them. My job is selling via a web site so Post Office rulings are known well so that is a non starter
I am now being told I can have a refurb Blackberry when I hate the fiddly things If I had had the same service minus the phone on my original sim only contract I would have saved considerable amounts of money/time phone calls /having the dubious pleasure of being called a liar and thief by call centre agents who do not have English as a first language. So far been offered 35 call backs but received one. Could you thus either escalate the situation where I do not get offered a phone that cannot be sold at car boots due to unreliability or preferably refund the difference between the contract for the phone and sim which would be £15 a month backdated to last November when the phone broke
The problem seems from this experience to be that they treat customers all as potential 16 year old hoodies with a small grasp of truth and surely a poor business plan I am 61. I do not mind escalating it as it has now become interesting as to how fixed some ‘customer systems’ are and as an example of applied psychology it defies all laws of logic but obviously is cost effective on the bottom line of the accounts.
I sent a recorded complaint to Customer Services at Newbury in early September and have still to receive a reply or acknowledgement :eek:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
As you probably know, they should acknowledge your complaint within a few days and offer a solution within 8 weeks.

If you have proof of postage, that is all you need, It's up to them to prove they didn't receive it.

Rosatheatons

Nov 13, 2012
They deny having the phone/ they deny any need to repair/refund etc now asked for full and final answer before the Ombudsman and small claims court. It seems nasty the runaround they give you anyone less b minded would fold but when all friends/relatives keep dying you do get pretty mad

Lee_Vodafone

May 9, 2012
They deny having the phone/ they deny any need to repair/refund etc now asked for full and final answer before the Ombudsman and small claims court. It seems nasty the runaround they give you anyone less b minded would fold but when all friends/relatives keep dying you do get pretty mad
Hi Rosatheatons,

It's disappointing to read about your dissatisfaction here but thanks for making me aware of it.

If you'd like me to take a closer look at things could you email me with the relevant details the Contact us form on our website? Unfortunately my post count is insufficient to provide a link to it but you'll be able to find via the Contact us link at the bottom of our home page. When sending it could you quote the code WRT135 - FAO Lee in the subject line?

Alternatively could you email me at eforumdotwebathelpdotvodafonedotcodotuk (apologies for the formatting but again my post count prevents me from posting email addresses) with a contact number only and again quote the code WRT135 - FAO Lee in the subject line?

Once our automated reply arrives could update the thread with your email reference number and I'll get back to you as soon as possible?

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Rosatheatons

Nov 13, 2012
Vodafone has now 'allowed' me to revert to sim only and I eventually got 6 months 'free' rental after paying £32+ a month for a service I did not get. As the phone is paid by me for son to keep in touch due to shrinking family ( they keep dying). Took just over the 12 months to settle all because I hate Backberries

Lee_Vodafone

May 9, 2012
Vodafone has now 'allowed' me to revert to sim only and I eventually got 6 months 'free' rental after paying £32+ a month for a service I did not get. As the phone is paid by me for son to keep in touch due to shrinking family ( they keep dying). Took just over the 12 months to settle all because I hate Backberries

Hi Rosetheatons,

Thanks for returning to the thread to confirm that your concerns have now been resolved.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Reb

Feb 8, 2013
The company i work for have been using Vodafone as a service provider for a few months, all i can say is i would never advise any person or company to use Vodafone.

There is constant signal problems, the Vodafone representatives turned up drunk to a meeting at our office to discuss the lack service and the issues with connections.

One of them pretended to faint while my manager went to the kitchen to get water they tried forging paperwork we wouldnt sign.

They contacted our old provider and pretended to be my director to gain information to help them undercut and convince us to switch - Major Con Artists is all i can say about this company!!!!

Reb

Feb 8, 2013
Unfortunately so!!

We are collating all the information regarding Vodafone and Wish Communciations who are the third party we have Vodafone through and taking it all to solicitors and the ombudsman.

The customer service, maintenance, and overall satisfaction from both of these companies is diar.

Lee_Vodafone

May 9, 2012
Unfortunately so!!

We are collating all the information regarding Vodafone and Wish Communciations who are the third party we have Vodafone through and taking it all to solicitors and the ombudsman.

The customer service, maintenance, and overall satisfaction from both of these companies is diar.
Hi Reb,

This certainly isn't good to read about.

If you'd like me to take a closer look at things could you email me with the relevant details the Contact us form on our website? Unfortunately my post count is insufficient to provide a link to it but you'll be able to find via the Contact us link at the bottom of our home page. When sending it could you quote the code WRT135 - FAO Lee in the subject line?

Alternatively could you email me at eforum.web@help.vodafone.co.uk (apologies for the formatting but again my post count prevents me from posting email addresses) with a contact number only and again quote the code WRT135 - FAO Lee in the subject line?

Once our automated reply arrives could update the thread with your email reference number and I'll get back to you as soon as possible?

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Last edited by a moderator:

arogom

Mar 17, 2013
Hi Lee Vodafone,

I have an ongoing problem for 5 months from the day I joined Vodafone.

All the wonderful people in Egypt and india are useless, they do not understand simple English and cut me off and never stick to their promises.

Can you help me?

Lee_Vodafone

May 9, 2012
Hi Lee Vodafone,

I have an ongoing problem for 5 months from the day I joined Vodafone.

All the wonderful people in Egypt and india are useless, they do not understand simple English and cut me off and never stick to their promises.

Can you help me?
Hi arogom,

Thanks for making me aware of your concerns.

To enable me to get them looked into further could you email me as per the details posted in post 16?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

arogom

Mar 17, 2013
Hi Lee,

I have sent the email as requested. But someone from India has replied.
They are the reason why I want someone in the UK to assist me.

Please reply to my email, unless you want me to write on this and various other PUBLIC forums or how pathetic Vodafone are!!!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Arogam, with all due respect, please do not be abusive on this forum. Lee from Vodafone appears to be a helpful chap around here and deals with the company problems efficiently.