Problem with extended policy for repair.

benvo

Dec 22, 2008
Hey guys,
first post so be gentle if ive messed up anything lol! but i have a dilemma, i bought my brother a docking station for his mp3 player last year and was also sold the policy to repair a product for what i thought covered accidental damage, im not sure whether im allowed to state the company but if i am let me know and i will post, what agreement etc. Ive got this on my laptop its great, they fix up my laptop every time there is a problem, and have even changed the screen when it had a chip in it, and as far as im aware it is covered against accidental damage.

But the docking station power cable got caught in a door, and the cable was cut all the way through. I took it back as i know it qualifies for their instant replacement to be told its not covered by accidental damage, i said to her that's the only reason i took it out. I said what does 'whatever happens' mean to you!

they then phoned up the policy and they told them it was a no go, obviously i wasn't happy, and asked what my options were and another lady come over to help, maybe a deputy manager and said the same, but she also said did you not read the paperwork,(not only the fact i thought she was rude and had a unhelpful attitude). as i wasn't sure i didn't say anything but i study a bit of contract law at university. I only got the details of the agreement after i had paid. so in my mind after i had accepted their offer, and consideration had passed yes? so the paperwork she gave me was useless? does this breach some act if i remember rightly? cant remember which.

then i phoned up the company the agreement with they said they cannot do anything but cancel my agreement, as i was annoyed and thought at the time was no other option i canceled the agreement as i will get part of the money back i paid for it, and i will replace the ac adapter that was at fault.

now i thought more and more about it and has annoyed me and my parents, is there anything i can do, have they breached anything i can use against them? and does it matter i canceled the agreement or can i reinstate it as i only canceled it today.

Thanks for any replies.

Benvo

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Not sure I completely understand does the policy include accidental damage? If so, are they saying that this type of accidental damage is excluded?

Tony

benvo

Dec 22, 2008
Hey, it called whatever happens, the name it self is very misleading. On the paper work it says that anything under £120 will be instantly replaced but not for mishaps. But anything above £120 is. But i did not get the paperwork till after i had paid and the transaction was complete?

Thanks

Benvo

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Extended warranties have a 45 day cooling off period which is plenty of time in theory to read the contract. However, you are right that name is misleading and you might have a case to reclaim the whole amount you have paid, especially if you were told it was covered. How much money are we talking about?

A complaint letter will probably get a positive outcome? Who was it? On a personal note I think these policies are a complete rip off if you want accidental cover get it on your home insurance.

Extended Warranties: Are they worth it? | Consumer Information

The Sale of Goods Act will often give you better protection against faults too:

Sale of Goods Act | Consumer Information