Best flight comparison websites?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
What flight comparison websites do people recommend? Up until a year or so ago, the only one I knew of was expedia. But there seem to be so many now - I know of Kayak, Holiday Hypermarket, Cheap Holiday Deals and Skyscanner, and there are probably loads of other ones too. I've found that sometimes they do come up with different prices but haven't noticed any consistent patterns in terms of one being cheaper than another. Is there a particular one that anyone would recommend?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Flight Comparision

I generally just go to the airlines websites and do the research myself. I have used expedia and found it to be expensive. Have you seen this one:

Budget Airline FlightChecker tells you when to go for the cheapest price: MoneySavingExpert.com

The notice at the bottom made me laugh :) - "Ryanair are currently having problems with their website". It should read that Ryanair are suing the companies that screen scrape - Ryanair wins German court victory in screen-scraping injunction | The Register

Martino

Jul 24, 2008
The reason why the prices are so different is that price comparison search engines are either not searching live prices (which change by the minute), or that they are unable to calculate the price due to the airline complicating their pricing structure (these days, a price comparison engine has to ask you how many bags have you got, how heavy are the bags, how are you paying, can you print your boarding pass or do you have to check in at the airport, etc...).

Just go to the airline's site directly. You can find a complete list of who flies where on WhichBudget.com

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I understood that the rules had recently changed and airlines will have to show to full price including taxes to make comparison easier - no more 1p headline prices.

Martino

Jul 24, 2008
I understood that the rules had recently changed and airlines will have to show to full price including taxes to make comparison easier - no more 1p headline prices.
That's just for fuel surcharge, airport charges, government taxes, etc. But they don't have to include bag supplement, airport check-in charge, credit card charges, etc. After all, they (like the comparison sites), cannot calculate this without you telling them how many bags you are carrying, how are you paying, etc.

Sometimes, these "small" extra charges can amount to double the original ticket price.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Thanks for the replies folks. I guess I'll just have to do the donkey work myself and search individual airline websites: I was just being lazy and hoping there was a site that would do it for me! Martino, I hadn't seen the Which Budget site before, that's a really useful site.

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
I use Travelocity and Lastminute.com to do the donkey work, identify the cheapest flights and potential airlines that fly the route I'm after there and then go to the individual airline and book direct with them.

It usually saves you around £10-15.

It's also worth considering flying from regional airports that may be close-by...sometimes you might have a much cheaper airline/less popular route to choose.

Paul Carcone

travel_anywhere

Feb 25, 2009
www.asiatravelmarket.com
There are so many. What makes the good ones be differentiated though is their constant effort to be on the loop in fares and travel updates. Have you ever checked GlobalTravelMarket? several travel price comparison sites sorted by destination such as Asiatravelmarket.com, arabiatravelmarket.co.uk, australiatravelmarket.com etc.

GekkoHQ

Jul 8, 2009
Expedia's good, but make sure that you also look at the carrier's site as well. Sometimes it's cheaper to book directly, so just check the airline's website before you shell out.

MetaCompare

Jul 15, 2010
Some previous posters mentioned sites like Expedia etc, but it is not actually necessary to check them individually, as the best comparison sites are those that search several of these types of web site all at once (eg. Zugu, SkyScanner). MetaCompare.co.uk has details of the best comparison sites on the web including a section dedicated to flight comparison sites.

cityvisitor

Apr 18, 2011
I've always found Skyscanner to be the easiest and quickest to use. But I haven't flown for a year and a half so maybe there's a better online tool out there now.

tillylooloo

Jun 14, 2011
Sheffield
I've always found Skyscanner to be the easiest and quickest to use. But I haven't flown for a year and a half so maybe there's a better online tool out there now.
I like opodo.co.uk. I have used it to book numerous flights in the past and have always found the prices to be competitive. And from recent experience it doesnt hide all the extras from you, like the cost of bags etc.

Isobel

Nov 23, 2011
london
Sky scanner are pretty good, but I recently got really good value flights to India from sta travel and I would realy recommend them.

Kari

Jan 17, 2013
I usually use skyscanner, however, I also recommend to check the airlines's website.

bonniesbrn

Oct 12, 2016
London
I also use SkyScanner and also eSky, but is always goo to check also the airline's websites, just to be sure you are getting the most valuable deal.