customer rights???

Lunatic

Apr 13, 2009
Hi,
I am a customer of a particular shoe shop. At the end of January I bought a pair of shoes. But after less than month the sole of one of them broke across.
I took it back to the shop, but I found out that the shop had been closed down.
So I searched for another branch around. By that time their website was under reconstruction, so it took several more weeks to find another closest shop.
I took it there a week ago again. The manager was not there, so they refused to accept my reclamation.
I went there today, but still no success. They said it has been more than a month and they cannot refund me the faulty product.
On the back of their receipt which I still keep is written that if a manager decides it was a manufacturer`s fault I will get full refund. But the manager today told me, it was not a manufacturer`s fault. Ok, was it mine then?

I need to know (to read through all information about law is time consuming), if they were right or not.
I did not want to return the item in 28 days.
I want refund for faulty item. I know I have exactly one year from day of buy to get the refund if something went wrong with the item.

Can anybody help me with this???

Lunatic

Apr 13, 2009
lovely

They are not giving you the correct information - read this:

Faulty or Damaged Goods | Consumer Information[/url]
thanx, I have been to that web page. So I was right.

just one more question: what to do if they refuse to accept my reclamation for the third time, after I show them printed relevant pages??? who should I contact then, or before I go there expecting this situation again?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
First, escalate it within the company, ask to speak to someone at head office - that will usually do the trick. Often the local staff have not received consumer law training

Lunatic

Apr 13, 2009
First, escalate it within the company, ask to speak to someone at head office - that will usually do the trick. Often the local staff have not received consumer law training
maybe.
or maybe they were trained to discourage the customer. credit crunch is a bitch.
i told her this was the last time i had bought something in their shop.
her answer was something like: as you wish...

Lunatic

Apr 13, 2009
well, i called to their customer service. NO DEAL.
they simply do not respect that if the item developes a fault within 6 months it is understood as it was faulty at the day of purchase. they just keep saying (or being alibistic) and copying their branch manager, that if she decided it was not a fault then it WAS NOT.
who is some manager to know exactly what is fault and what is not? the law says it clearly: up to 6 months! this fault developed within 4 weeks! they were shoes and they were used for walking. no inappropriate way of use.

the woman at customer service kept saying it was not a fault. well, i asked her: would she wear shoes with broken bottom across? would she be able to do walking in those shoes? then she adviced me to have it mended so i gave her a clear question: who will pay the expenses then? no straight answer followed.

i told them that if they are not going to respect law, i give the case to media. she again said, i can do so.

so i did. :cool:
i have sent some information to watchdog on bbc.
i do not know if they will be interested in this stupid story. if not, maybe some papers will be. they have more pages to put it there. the sun, for example?

what you think?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I once had a very similar problem, when I explain you'll understand how long ago it was (if you're over 40)

I bought a pair of stacks shoes on which the stacks were sewn together around the edge of the sole, sure enough walking on them wore out the stitching and the stacks began to come apart :rolleyes:

I took them back to the shop and the Manager said "you've walked on them too much" pardon? are they not shoes? their sole (excuse the pun) purpose in life is to be walked on?

Phoned trading standards, not sure if they were just more efficient in those days or had a lighter workload but they phoned the shop then told me to take them back and the shop replaced them with no trouble, didn't see the Manager tho, think she was hiding.

Anyway, the law is on your side, Watchdog is not enough. speak to Consumer Direct, get a case number then write demanding action is taken, if all else fails, i really would consider a small claim for your money back, its about time shops stopped getting away with this behaviour.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Consumer Direct have taken the lion's share of consumer complaints. They will confirm that the law is on your side, but I doubt they will get directly involved. Still worth giving them a ring though. A letter to Head Office will probably do the trick. You could adapt this one:

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/technology/4101-replacement-ps3-problem-advice-2.html#post7647

It is worth noting that the law takes into account the nature of the goods and the value, a £1 pair of Espadrilles wouldn't be expected to last as long as a £200 pair of walking boots.

Lunatic

Apr 13, 2009
well, guys, I WON!
i called the customer direct, it probably cost me some extra money, but i do not care. i got their advice, and following this i sent the letter to the sellers main office. just after about a month i received their apologies and request to send the shoes to them. i did. after several weeks, just two days ago, i received another apologies and a cheque with the amount that covers the price of shoes and my postal expenses.

little money, but i feel satisfied. it was a principle for me, though i know i was the black sheep. most of people just give up.

many thanx to anyone with helpful information previously :)

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
What a great post to read on a rainy day - I am so glad your persistence paid off and that you found the help here useful! And thanks for coming back with the end of the story - a happy ending! You were very discreet in not naming and shaming the shop!!!

Lunatic

Apr 13, 2009
i did not name those people, but you can be sure it was my last shopping with them. it was evidently a manufacturers fault and the law says it clerarly: up to 6 months from purchase..., but they kept trying it on me and wasted my time and finally their money. and i know it still pays off for them: less customers will persist, more of them just throw that rubbish in the bin and buy another ones. and often different ones. and both of them are happy: the shop has a "success" and the customer is happy that had the opportunity to try several models for cheaper... very fashionable, isnt it? not everyone is willing to wear the same shoes for several years when they still are ok... this consuming society thinks differently.